Talk

Advanced search

In labour for 6+ hours now, not getting anywhere, disheartened

(13 Posts)
TheScience Sun 02-Mar-14 15:53:02

After a couple of weeks of on-off contractions, labour finally seemed to get going this morning. Contractions are reasonably painful, averaging about every 7 minutes, have sent DC1 to grandparents... have the TENS machine on, am bouncing on a ball but if anything the contractions are getting less frequent!

My first labour was really long (30 hours) I ended up exhausted with an epidural and forceps. This time I was really hoping it would be quicker, I'd be able to manage better and have the baby at a MLU. But I can't do another 24+ hour labour! If it drags on forever again I want an epidural and some rest. I really thought a second labour would be much quicker though sad

isisisis Sun 02-Mar-14 16:06:48

Oh, TheScience. I feel for you. Give yourself a chance though! Are you still at home? Anything you can do to take your mind off the clock watching like smash all the clocks in the house walk, box set, answer every single unanswered thread? Just because the baby hasn't popped out like a cork in the first 6 hours doesn't mean it's going to end up like last time. Give your self a pep talk & go with the flow.

TheScience Sun 02-Mar-14 16:27:29

Thanks, I'm trying not to give up hope already! It's pouring down outside so can't even go for a distracting walk. I might go to bed with Netflix and ignore the clock.

PastaandCheese Sun 02-Mar-14 16:44:00

Try and rest TheScience. If your body is giving you a natural. break then take advantage of it. Have a sleep if you can with your tens and a paracetamol and have something to eat or some lucozade.

You'll be grateful of it later when it all starts up in earnest.

Good luck.

TheScience Sun 02-Mar-14 16:57:14

Am in bed now. Trying not to compare to last time and expect the worst!

PastaandCheese Sun 02-Mar-14 17:07:48

If you get some rest in now then you'll be far less exhausted and all those contractions will have done something.

Don't think about last time. That is no help at this point in time says she who is 4 days overdue and worrying that there is no sign the baby is coming where at least my last had the good grace to give me a bit of backache and a show in advance

Rachie1986 Mon 03-Mar-14 00:00:35

Hey,
Having had 36hrs of "early labour" when I had my dd 2months ago, I really sympathise!
However in day 2 of such pains, my contractions spaced out and became less frequent and stayed that way til my waters broke - so don't be disheartened, it doesn't necessarily means nothing is happening or things art slowing down.

Good luck!
Xx

isisisis Mon 03-Mar-14 05:42:07

How are you doing, TheScience?

VisualiseAHorse Mon 03-Mar-14 23:28:51

Are you there? Any developments...?

TheScience Mon 03-Mar-14 23:54:48

DS2 was born this morning!

isisisis Tue 04-Mar-14 05:47:51

Congratulations!

YoniMatopoeia Tue 04-Mar-14 05:54:37

Congratulations. Well done you

PastaandCheese Tue 04-Mar-14 08:59:32

Hurrah and congratulations. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now