Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had an EMCS, then a VBAC, then an ELCS?

(6 Posts)
Yumsnet Sat 01-Mar-14 23:02:56

5 years ago I had an EMCS for failure to progress, and 3 years ago a VBAC with forceps that I struggled to recover from - incontinence, infected episiotomy, bad piles etc. Thankfully no long lasting effects but it was bloody hard at the time. I know lots of women go through worse.

I'm now 34 weeks with DC3 and don't know whether to push for an ELCS this time round. My head (and of course midwife) says a second vb is the sensible option (less likely to have forceps again for example). But I found the EMCS easier to recover from, and I just want a birth where I feel I'm not freaking out, and haven't got the fear and worry of messing up my fanjo/bum.

Am I crazy for wanting an ELCS (assuming it'd be agreed to anyway)? Has anyone had an ELCS after VBAC? Thanks for any feedback!

Ilovecake80 Sun 02-Mar-14 07:31:50

I think it is perfectly sane and a very realistic choice to have ELCS this time. You have had EMCS and a difficult VBAC, if this was me I would choose the ELCS. Hope you get what you want and all goes well.

eatyourveg Sun 02-Mar-14 08:07:52

yes I have. ds1 was emcs followed by Vbac for ds2 which involved failed ventouse, forceps and a 3rd degree tear so I opted for a ELCS for ds3 - no-one ever questioned my decision and as you say, the recovery after the cs is much easier (at least it was in my case)

have you asked yet? they may be perfectly agreeable

abigboydidit Sun 02-Mar-14 11:34:59

I had an EMCS and VBAC 20 months later. I needed an episiotomy and forceps and am still seeing a physio 13 months later for lax walls and weak PF (prolapse has now resolved). I have no plans to have a 3rd but if I did, it would be by ELCS without a doubt.

Yumsnet Sun 02-Mar-14 16:34:41

Thanks so much for your replies. It's been weighing on my mind alot - I'm seeing the consultant to tomorrow so it'll be a relief to say how I feel then, instead of brooding on it! I was originally refused an ELCS for DC2 so don't want to get my hopes up this time - altho we are living in a different county now so they may be more amenable here anyway.

My family will support me whatever my decision, but I think they can't quite understand why I don't want a vb again hmm as they see it as easier.

Abit I hope your recovery goes well, sounds like you've been through a lot.

abigboydidit Sun 02-Mar-14 19:17:24

Thanks - sounds like you had a rough time too. Were you induced either time? I was refused induction for my VBAC, though I had 3(shock) sweeps and I got them to book me in for my ELCS at 40+10, and not just 40 as they usually did. Might it be that they have to offer you ELCS if you go over?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now