Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had a positive experience on Remifentanil?

(10 Posts)
MrsHelenBee Sat 01-Mar-14 22:09:23

Hi everyone,
Didn't get much response to my thread earlier in the week so searched for any past threads relating to Remifentanil. Apart from the odd few, I just kept reading comments from mums who've had negative experiences using Remi - and a lot of them saying the same kind of thing to, like feeling totally out of control/high/out of it.
I REALLY don't want to have another epidural but am frightened I won't manage just of G&A, so I haven't totally written off the idea of Remi, but do have concerns and desperately want to know if there are women out there who it's actually worked for to help me make an informed decision. Anyone out there prepared to recommend it?

Dilidali Sat 01-Mar-14 22:14:29

I would suggest you talk to your anaesthetist about the drugs you'll get. I understand you are anxious, but it's only you and your anaesthetist that can decide.

MrsHelenBee Sat 01-Mar-14 22:23:44

I've been offered Remi, or at least encouraged to consider it, by my consultant midwife as I had bad experiences with an epidural and have real reservations when it comes to pethidine. My hospital have recently introduced remifentanil and the midwife thought, for a number of reasons, that it would be ideal for me if I need more than G&A. So, just wanted to hear from some women who found it an effective form of pain relief, rather than just make a decision based on the handout I've been given as no one I know has ever used it or had access to it.

Dilidali Sat 01-Mar-14 22:32:14

Yes, but choosing a drug/dose/route depends on your past medical history, weight, vital signs, allergies, requirement, anaesthetist etc. it's a whole equation to be solved and balanced.
A midwife doesn't decide on which drug you'll be administered, it has to be prescribed by an anaesthetist/consulatant etc, your midwife might think you 'd need remi, your anaesthetist might go in a quiet corner and bash his head against the wall, hard, because you've been given a wrong information.

Please, just talk to an anaesthetist.

Bithurt Sat 01-Mar-14 22:39:57

Is that the longer name for fentanol (not sure of spelling)

I had it. Wasn't allowed an epidural. It was great. I kept falling asleep between contractions though and woke with a start! The anaesthesist had to keep pressing the button on it to administer it when I went to theatre for a forceps delivery.

StrangerintheNight Sat 01-Mar-14 22:41:31

I don't remember finding it effective, but my husband says it definitely made a difference. However the fact I was still in so much pain that he had to press the 'self-dose' button on my behalf can't be a ringing endorsement for it.

Do you know how many people have actually used remifentanyl at your birthing centre, and what feedback they've had? I got the impression it was very few at mine, as the midwives didn't really have a clue about its use, and the anaesthetist clearly wanted more guinea pigs.

Plus, are you sure you'll even need it? I had the typical difficult first birth but then a much easier second, with only a little gas and air needed, which seems to be a common pattern.

MrsHelenBee Sat 01-Mar-14 23:07:44

Strangerinthenight - well done you for having a much better experience second time round, that's great to read!!
I hope I didn't come across as totally negative - my goal is ultimately to manage on G&A, as it was when my son was born, but there were a lot of complications last time and am still be treated for PTSD. As a result, I've been given appts with all manner of staff this time around to help me formulate a comprehenesive birth plan and make me feel more confident about what lies ahead. I want to be flexible - if I have to go to plan B or C or even Z, I will.
I know little about Remi - the hospital have used it for around a year and it's inceasingly popular apparently, but I don't know anyone who's been offered it - hence my thread. Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it, although you seem to be in the majority again when it comes to having had someone else press the button for you. When I searched on the forum, loads of people said the same thing - they were either asleep, in too much pain still, or not with it enough to press the button themselves.

Bithurt - your comment made me smile and chuckle (in a nice way!) Sorry you had an assisted delivery in the end (one of the many downers in my experience too)

bunkygirl Sun 02-Mar-14 21:29:19

I had it with mine. Wasn't allowed epidural due to low platelets and it got me through forceps delivery. Still hurt like hell but definitely helped. I was very tired at the end and kept taking asleep between contractions but hadn't slept or eaten in a long time so not sure the drugs were to blame.... Currently 32 weeks with 2nd and would go for it again if needed

bunkygirl Sun 02-Mar-14 21:35:15

also, I pressed it myself throughout apart from for the actual very short forceps bit when I asked dp to do it. I could have done it myself. Just asked him how off my face I was and he's said I was quite!

abigboydidit Sun 02-Mar-14 23:38:24

I had it and would have needed an epidural otherwise (which would have ended in EMCS I reckon). I was totally out of my face but aware of the fact, if that can make sense? And I still remember all the daft things I said now shock. As with a previous poster, I was poorly and hadn't eaten for hours and I also had no natural urge to push. The midwifes seemed to think it was the remi impairing my pushing so made me wait 1 hour with no pain relief before getting me to push for 1 hour but am not convinced the drugs played any part in my poor pushing hmm. However, DCs heartbeat did slow dangerously and result in a quick exit in theatre, which I think may have been due to the remi?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now