Talk

Advanced search

When were you offered a sweep?

(12 Posts)
RugbyWidow7 Thu 27-Feb-14 20:33:15

With my previous pregnancy I had a sweep at 4 days pdd and went into labour the following morning. I am nearly full term again and have been told that with second babies, they don't offer sweeps until 7 days over. I was really surprised and am a bit disappointed tbh. Does this depend on where you live as I'm not sure I've heard of waiting this long before?

Lovelybitofsquirrel Thu 27-Feb-14 20:41:04

I saw midwife at weekly clinic, edd was a Friday, clinic Thu. I was told they wouldn't offer sweep at 39 +6 so would have to wait til 40 +6, but by then I was in delivery suite!

NoIamAngelaHernandez Thu 27-Feb-14 20:42:31

I've been offered a sweep at 38 weeks - they want to avoid me going overdue as I'm hoping to have a vbac

PastaandCheese Thu 27-Feb-14 21:12:44

I've been told the same rugby. It was due date last time but 41 weeks with this one so have to wait until next week. Frustrating as I am sure it helped last time.

emmac3616 Thu 27-Feb-14 21:17:54

I was told no sweep until 41 weeks but I was getting very uncomfortable and stressed so pushed them to do one at 40+4 - a lovely midwife took pity on me and did it and labour started later that day. Hospital policy was definitely 41 weeks but more just because that's when you have an appointment again after EDD... don't think there is a medical reason to wait after the due date. I am SO pleased they listened to me as DS was WAY bigger than they had thought based on size of my bump and I had suction and forceps as it was... dread to think what would have happened if he'd got any bigger!!!!

Yonineedaminute Fri 28-Feb-14 09:12:23

I had one yesterday at 40+2.

PastaandCheese Fri 28-Feb-14 09:30:45

I did query it and she said their policy is 40 weeks with a first and 41 weeks with subsequent. Apparently subsequents tend not to be so late...... I just wish she'd told the overdue second baby in my uterus that!

Sillylass79 Fri 28-Feb-14 09:36:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shellywelly1973 Fri 28-Feb-14 09:37:13

I've carried each of my baby's longer.

With dc6 I was offered a sweep at 39 weeks.. I declined. Dd didn't arrive until 40+6.

x0gawjus0x Fri 28-Feb-14 10:23:37

I'm having one Monday at 39+5 didn't have to ask consultant told me I was having one, then another at 40+1 then if no luck induction apparently but think I'm going to refuse...xx

LadyGoneGaga Fri 28-Feb-14 10:25:40

I asked for one (and got an attempt) at 38 weeks as had Gestational Diabetes and really wanted to avoid induction. Cervix was too high to even reach though. Tried again 39 weeks, same story, tried again 39+4. This time she could reach and was already 2-3cm. Posterior though. she did a sweep, did nothing. Ended up being induced at 40+0. I think they only work if you are pretty much ready to go anyway.

TheScience Fri 28-Feb-14 15:21:15

Offered one at 40+1 but told it was unlikely to work and turned it down anyway.

Will consider again at 40+8.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now