Talk

Advanced search

Be honest, what's the pain like after ELCS?

(32 Posts)
Tea1Sugar Sat 22-Feb-14 07:14:50

I had a 3rd degree tear last time and was in genuine agony for three months until it was re stitched so I'm praying an ELCS will be more manageable.

I've had my appendix out, does that even compare?!

I don't "do" pain well, I don't cope with it so I'm petrified about it already. That and the effects of the painkillers making me feel giddy/sick/out of it/constipated.

So be honest please! How painful was your ELCS? I've got 7 weeks to prepare myself!

ImNotCute Sat 22-Feb-14 07:24:06

I've had a 3rd degree tear and elcs too. Elcs recovery was much easier. 1st couple of days after elcs the pain was quite bad when I got out of bed/ coughed/ laughed but fine while I was just snuggled up with ds.

After the first couple of days the pain improved rapidly, much more quickly than recovering from a bad tear.

My biggest problem was that the postnatal ward was so chaotic it was difficult to get my pain meds when they were due. You need to keep on top of pain relief, particularly in those first few days- so be prepared to have to keep asking if your ward is the same.

Faverolles Sat 22-Feb-14 07:25:04

I'm crap with pain, but ELCS was definitely manageable as long as you don't overdo it!
It was very nerve wracking getting up the next morning, and any walking was done hunched over so the scar didn't stretch.
Laughing and coughing was painful for a couple of days.
Once home, getting in and out of bed was tricky for two or three nights - softer bed and lower than hospital bed.
After ds2 I did too much too soon and ended up with an infection.
I was advised not to Hoover for 3 months - I was very happy to pass that job onto someone else!

Painkillers didn't make me feel ill at all.
When you come home, have dried apricots or some sort of laxative handy. Try to prevent constipation rather than cure it!

I've never had my appendix out, so I've no idea if they compare, but I've generally found that the pain is manageable with plenty of rest and diclofenac. I was off painkillers by about 10 days.

Good luck smile

backinaminute Sat 22-Feb-14 07:25:21

I had a nasty 3rd degree tear and so had a elcs second time round. I was the same as you and was really worried.

I found first day absolutely fine, couldn't feel it at all. Second day was sore (as the mega drugs wore off) and had trapped wind in my shoulder that was worse than the incision. By day 3 (as I left hospital) it was completely managed by painkillers. Only time it hurt was if I did too much. It's weird (well not really) but it's different and I think preferable to have the pain in your tummy. I could sit up perfectly well and that was a nice surprise after the first time. I did take it slowly and it was absolutely fine. It most definitely didn't hurt all the time for weeks or even days. Just make sure you keep yourself topped with with painkillers. I took mine by the clock for about 2-3 weeks.

backinaminute Sat 22-Feb-14 07:26:47

I forgot about the coughing and laughing grin

Redtartanshoes Sat 22-Feb-14 07:30:34

Painkillers and laxatives are your friend.

I remember the journey home was a bit uncomfortable... It felt like dh was driving over every single bump and whole in the road but after that it was fine.

Tea1Sugar Sat 22-Feb-14 07:31:15

Thanks ladies! Rather shocked to see how dare I say, common it is to have a 3/4 degree tear. I felt so isolated after mine like I was the only woman to have experienced such a broken vag. I just hope I man up to this csection!

Oo I forgot, our bedroom is in the loft conversion so two flights of stairs. Should I just accept the fact I'll be on the sofa for a while?!

BingoWingsBeGone Sat 22-Feb-14 07:35:38

I stayed on the sofa for a few days but mostly so dh could deal with any Dd1 wake ups and me focus on dd2 and the Beijing Olympics which handily were on through the night

As others said, don't overdo it and keep topped up on painkillers for 5-7 days.

turkeyboots Sat 22-Feb-14 07:41:28

I have a 3 storey house and managed the stairs after elcs. Slowly but it was ok. Much nicer to be your own bed!

Minnieisthedevilmouse Sat 22-Feb-14 07:44:51

To be clear; elective c sec?

No pain. None after emergency. None after elective second time. Stiffness yes.

You will feel rocky but you will also feel 100 better every day to the day before. You might think its a slow process maybe but I found every few weeks I was surprised how good I felt compared to time gone. It really isn't that bad at all.

Were I too I'd def do it again.

Minnieisthedevilmouse Sat 22-Feb-14 07:45:39

Yup I made all stairs. I could shower almost immediately if carefully too.

TirNaNog100 Sat 22-Feb-14 08:08:47

Hi, I've had an appendectomy and the recovery from that was far slower than my emergency section. Don't worry!

eatyourveg Sat 22-Feb-14 08:35:49

another one with a 3rd degree tear followed by elcs - the latter is a breeze in comparison

Contemplates Sat 22-Feb-14 08:44:22

I found the episiotomy and forceps the worst to recover from.

Having my appendix out was hard to sit up and move around after, so I was dreading CS.

But the CS recover has been the best of all 3. The wound itself was bruised for a bit but healed really well. It's the muscles underneath that you have to watch for - especially bending down to put things into a bottom draw or stretching your arms out when leaning forward. These actions made the muscular ache worse the next day, and I found if I avoided them I was much more comfortable.

Also I made an effort to walk slowly but as upright as possible, not sure if that helped.

Getting out of bed I rolled into one side and put my legs over the edge near the floor, then pulled myself up using my arms.

The only thing that took a long time CS wise was one side of my groin aged for a long time after, especially if baby kicked it during feeds.

But all in all, the best procedure of all 3.

hickorychicken Sat 22-Feb-14 08:49:06

Mine was fine within a few days as in not painful. I made the mistake of having a bath the night i got home and got STUCK!! Tbf i came home saturday, monday i was shopping, taking dd2 into dd1s nursery and felt fantastic....and then it hit me, i got an infection and was shitty for over a week.
The most painful thing for me was being stitched up, i could feel the tugging and it hurt so they kept having to top up my morphine through my canular sad

Booboostoo Sat 22-Feb-14 09:32:07

I've only had an ELCS so can't compare but I only had minimal pain. I had mine late morning and the nurse convinced me to try to stand up the same evening when one leg was still a bit numb and gave way - that was quite painful but only momentarily. Other than that I was up the next day, taking small walks the day after, out of hospital on day 5 and only on paracetamol for about a week after that.

jerryfudd Sat 22-Feb-14 09:39:29

My recovery from ectopic surgery (open procedure) was worse than my first section. My 2nd section was worse but due to other complications. I was able to move next day and shower. Stairs were not an issue. I would just reitterate what others have said 're pain relief. The midwives told me if you wait until you need it it's too late and you should take the scheduled pain killers whenever offered to stay on top of the pain

snowqu33n Sat 22-Feb-14 10:04:01

Heres my honest opinion: I think it depends on the person how it affects them. My blood pressure dropped during the op so I kept retching and got wind trapped in my shoulders and had to be given anti-emetics, sedatives and other drugs too. Hated the epidural as much as the pain, it worked mostly on one side and it didnt wear off for ages. The first day the pain was really bad (prob due to their relying on the one-sided epidural for pain management), but by 48 hours later was mostly fine on paracetamol. Don't twist round while holding your baby or try to sit up straight from lying down. The first day was worse pain than a broken bone (even surgery on a broken bone), after that it was only certain movements that were painful, or going to the loo. The feeling of being scared to use stomach muscles persisted for a good few weeks for me. Cant compare it to your other experiences, though, so I dont know. Overall, the most unpleasant medical experience I have had.
It's lucky that my son was SO extra cute it made it worth it.

Floralnomad Sat 22-Feb-14 10:10:31

I have a relatively high pain threshold and when I had my section I took paracetamol for the first day and that was it . I seriously think it is a case of mind over matter to a degree . I had a difficult vaginal birth with my first and needed a blood transfusion etc so the section was definitely much easier ,and I was out of hospital quicker.

curiousgeorgie Sat 22-Feb-14 10:11:00

It really wasn't that bad...

I've had my tonsils out and had a few breast operations and they were much much worse.

When you move, twist etc it feels sort of tight like something is pulling, and occasionally had some sharp pains that felt like they came from inside but keeping on top of the painkillers for a week or so really was enough...

For me it was more of a fragile feeling that I had and didn't like, just for the first two days or so I felt quite shaky.

Good luck though! You'll be absolutely fine! smile

PseudoBadger Sat 22-Feb-14 10:13:46

My emcs was awful, but it came after 36 hour labour and 3 hours pushing so I think I would've felt pretty bad whatever.
Elcs was fantastic, felt great by the next afternoon (but did take all painkillers offered!)

Its0kToBeMe Sat 22-Feb-14 10:28:22

My ELCS was great, DD was sent to intensive care so I was up and about the next day.

Doodle1983 Sat 22-Feb-14 11:23:06

Three weeks to the day for my EMCS. I feel absolutely fine. Like I want to do the hoovering but I WILL NOT HOOVER

Abdomen is sore - worst thing I've found is my knickers digging in. I've resisted buying some high waist ones and worse DH boxers pulled high. Is recommend getting some big pants and like the others take regular painkillers regardless if u feel u need them. I'm down to two doses of paracetamol a day - morning and night and will drop he morning one after today. Oh and fruit is your friend - I've never bobbed so much but was constipated in hospital and frightened to go pooh! X

FlossieTreadlight Sat 22-Feb-14 19:28:11

I've been watching this with interest after having a 3b tear with DC1 and feeling v conflicted about what to do with a second labour. The aftermath of forceps and tearing was awful for me and I'm fearful that I will be scared to push. For those of you that had a ELCS after a tear, was it a fight to get (I realise it's not an easy option)? What were MWs views on second labour after a 3rd degree tear? Sorry OP for taking this in a slightly different direction.

MolotovCocktail Sat 22-Feb-14 19:53:55

It wasn't too bad in terms of pain but I would describe it as really ... weird. I had a burning sensation (only for a short time) whenever I rose to stand up for about 3-4 days.

Zero pain on day of section. That odd, burning sensation for a few days so I made sure that I got my morphine on time in hospital. I made a good friend of lactose so that I didn't need to strain when having a poo in the ensuing days and I made sure I had a prescription for codeine and paracetamol when I left for home.

Stand up straight and as gently as you can, as soon as you can. It helps those muscles to heal. I recommend the book Cesarean Birth : A positive approach to preparation and recovery by Leigh East. Lots of good, useful info in theresmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now