Talk

Advanced search

Would you consent to an induction for VBAC if your previous EMCS was due to a failed induction?

(18 Posts)
BettyFriedansLoveChild Fri 21-Feb-14 13:51:57

Just that really. Had an appointment with a consultant today to talk through birth options for DC2. DC1 was born by EMCS after a long induction (pessary and drip) over several days where I failed to progress further than 2cm. I said that I wanted a VBAC, and asked what would happen if my membrane ruptured without contractions starting (the scenario last time), or if I went over 41 weeks. I was really surprised that he was in favour of another induction (drip only) in those scenarios. I hated every minute of induction last time (I wouldn't have minded if it had had some effect but it seemed like a lot of pain for no good reason) and feel quite stressed at the thought of having to go through that again. I think that I will fight for a section rather than an induction if this happens. Am I missing something? Would anyone else actually consent to a second induction after an awful experience first time round?

owllover Fri 21-Feb-14 15:26:50

Ugh I hated induction. Had the intravenous drip and it was horrible. Re dc2 my consultant has said they will not induce me atall. So in the event I go overdue by 7 days or waters go and no progress I would be sectioned. I am really surprised they are saying to induce you as it can be dodgy for scar rupturing. A big no no in my hospital.
I would refuse induction if offered, they can't make you have it.

owllover Fri 21-Feb-14 15:28:01

Sorry I meant to say I had emcs with dc1 also of that wasn't clear.

JoinYourPlayfellows Fri 21-Feb-14 15:30:00

No, I wouldn't.

In fact, when facing this situation I didn't. smile

I was happy to try for a VBAC if labour started spontaneously.

But I was not happy to go through failed induction and EMCS.

I had an ELCS and it was lovely and a far, far nicer birth experience than induced labour (and my induction was pretty successful, but the baby wouldn't come out despite my progressing well) followed by an emergency section.

WhoWasThatMaskedWoman Fri 21-Feb-14 15:30:55

I wouldn't agree to induction for VBAC under any circumstances - for me personally the benefits of VBAC over ELCS would not outweigh the additional risks of induction. Have you been given stats for the risks of drip only induction?

hellymelly Fri 21-Feb-14 15:35:23

I second owl , induction gives you a higher risk of rupture, my hospital (UCH) wouldn't have done it for that reason. Also induction itself gives you a very high chance of a section anyway, so the sensible way seems to be the one suggested to me with DD2, try for a normal delivery, if you are not progressing properly, or there are any reasons to speed things up, accept that then you will need another c-section. I ended up with a second one as there were concerns about pain in my scar, as it turned out the scar wall was very thin and a c-section had been absolutely the right call. The birthing unit head had said that if I got shipped over to labour ward, that would be a sing things weren't straightforward and that then I might want to ask for a section. In my case the consultant insisted on it soon after I was sent over to the labour ward, and it really helped that I'd prepared myself for another. Also the second one is much better, as you know the process, so it is calmer and less frightening, if you do end up needing one.

nooka Fri 21-Feb-14 15:51:14

My fist c-section was for a difficult lie (transverse oblique). Second time around I was very keen to 'experience' birth as I never even had a contraction with ds, the whole thing was over and done so quickly. Unfortunately dd wasn't terribly keen to make an appearance and after three days of leaking water and no contractions I oped to be induced by drip. It was very horrible and I ended up with another c-section. Looking back I don't know what I was thinking about! We decided never to have another baby again rather than go through another experience like that.

Actually looking at your OP again we had a fairly similar experience of waters going and no contractions, and I would say go for a c-section. I came to the conclusion that my uterous might be great for growing the babies, but it was rubbish and getting them out! I've never naturally had a single contraction, and the syntocin aided ones didn't seem to do much either. Given that I'd been originally aiming for home births the c-sections weren't really what I had in mind, but actually ds's birth was a good experience.

moas Fri 21-Feb-14 15:51:46

I'm in the same situation as you and my consultant won't do induction. I'm allowed to go 10 days overdue, then it'll be C-section. Perfect plan I think! Everyone has been so positive about VBAC though (if it happens spontaneously), thought I'd have to fight for it.

Larty74 Fri 21-Feb-14 16:14:30

There are a lot of very helpful and positive elcs stories on mn which were incredibly insightful to me in making the decision to have one for dc2 in about 3 weeks time after failed induction for dc1. It left no question in my mind as to which was the best way forward for me! Keep reading and good luck!

BettyFriedansLoveChild Fri 21-Feb-14 16:45:33

I was really thrown by the whole idea of an induction for a vbac to be honest, so didn't ask any questions about the relative risks of rupture, or the likelihood of induction leading to further interventions like forceps or ventouse. Only 15% of inductions in this particular hospital lead to C-sections, which seemed like pretty good odds, but then this might mean a much higher chance of other interventions.

This hospital also does a very high number of successful vbacs in comparison to the national rate, which may be related to their preference for inducing rather than going straight to CS. I have a date for a section at 41+12, but the way the consultant explained it, I would be examined on the day of the section, then if conditions looked favourable I would be induced first. Which sounds very stressful - if I get as far as 41+12 without labour starting naturally, I'd rather not have to argue my way out of induction before I can have a section.

Currently feeling that pregnancy is tiring enough without having to fight things out with consultants. (I know it shouldn't feel like a fight, but it does…)

LackaDAISYcal Fri 21-Feb-14 16:55:26

I thought that they wouldn't induce a VBAC incase of uterine rupture?

I would hold off as long as possible on being induced tbh. I had a VBA2C and thankfully I went into labour naturally. I ended up withy a forceps delivery and it was more medicalised than I had initially planned, but we were kept informed and allowed to come to our own decisions in our own time before they did anything. It was a lovely birth really. I hired a doula and I think I would have struggled a lot with things if she hadn't been there to calm us and advocate for us.

There was a long running VBAC thread about 5ish years ago; loads of information on there. I'll see if I can dig out a link or two.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 21-Feb-14 17:00:02

HERE it it

That was a lot easier to find than I thought; it was still on my watch list from amost 5.5 years ago!

Knottyknitter Fri 21-Feb-14 19:11:37

No, but would have VBAC if I went into spontaneous labour, if you see what I mean.

crumpet Fri 21-Feb-14 19:19:53

I refused induction for a vbac. Had preeclampsia first time and a failed induction, so there was no way I was going to agree to an induction when preeclampsia raised its head again. Second cs far more relaxed than the emergency cs had been.

surromummy Fri 21-Feb-14 19:22:14

No I would not. if you go into labour within that timeframe, great, if not I would want elcs. I do not recommend induction for anyone ime (std mw in the past+induced with 1st dc) it mostly leads to spiralling intervention. It is hard enough and risky enough for women who have not have a cs, but I do not feel putting someone whos had a least one cs though it is inadvisable, if your body is not ready it will probably eventually lead to another cs.

abigboydidit Sat 22-Feb-14 21:54:25

No. I wouldn't (& didn't). Dc2 was born by VBAC 2 days before I was booked in for elcs. If I hadn't started "naturally" (I had 2 sweeps) then I was not for induction.

Poppy7 Sun 23-Feb-14 17:07:39

Absolutely not. When I was fighting to have DC2 by ELCS I was very clear that if it was not agreed I would not be consenting to sweeps or induction if I went overdue. No way was I going through that again, even though they "reassured" me that they wouldn't let me go for 3 days like they did with DC1... Not an issue in the end as ELCS was agreed to - and I felt a hundred times better after it than after the failed induction and EMCS for DC1.

TheScience Sun 23-Feb-14 17:10:35

I'd want a planned section in that situation too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now