Talk

Advanced search

Almost 40 weeks and feeling awful.

(19 Posts)
FredFlintstonesSister Thu 20-Feb-14 08:14:56

Just that really. I'm 39+5 and so horribly uncomfortable. Hardly sleeping and feeling quite depressed. No sign of this baby going anywhere. Any suggestions on how to cope?

Izzyalex Thu 20-Feb-14 09:28:47

(((Big hugs))) fredflintstonessister
There's other threads with tips on how to encourage labour like raspberry leaf tea, spicy curries, sex, bouncing on a birth ball, pineapple etc.
Also on symptoms to watch out for to show you might be starting off?
So I guess a 3-pronged approach:
1. Try practical stuff to get things moving
2. Symptom spotting
3. Distraction techniques - keep busy, take your mind off it, make plans with friends / family, get prepared re hospital bag, baby's room etc.

Oh and don't forget, a big cry and a big whinge to someone you love always helps?

Stay strong and hang in there, not long now xxxx

PastaandCheese Thu 20-Feb-14 09:43:25

Is this your first Fred? This is the hard bit.... The Wait. It's awful.

I'm a few days behind you with #2 and it's all coming back to me how rubbish the last week or so is.

Remember part of how you feel is down to the hormones flooding your body that will put you into labour so I think the fact you feel a bit despondent means you are moving in the right direction.

Piscivorus Thu 20-Feb-14 10:09:10

I know it seems hard but get yourself a nice cup of tea, put on some relaxing music, sit on the sofa, relax, take a deep breath and think...
I won't get a moment like this again for about 18 years!

Wish I'd done that more smile

Good luck

FredFlintstonesSister Thu 20-Feb-14 10:21:38

Thanks everyone. It is my first and I've been on maternity leave since 36 weeks which, looking back, was maybe a bit early to come off work. I'm currently living about 100 miles away from family so friends are mostly 'work friends' who I'm not really seeing at the moment. I'm bouncing on the ball and drinking the tea so maybe that'll kick start something.

GuyMartinsSideburns Thu 20-Feb-14 10:22:52

Morning Fred, Im 39+5 too, this is my 3rd. I woke up today feeling quite queasy, not quite 'right' and with backache. Thought it may have been the start of things but they all seem to have eased off. Im considering a walk to the shop for some crap, and then maybe half heartedly pushing the hoover around when I get back...

Ive been feeling quite rubbish too, the worry I think but Im trying to stay rational (ha!) and just going with the flow of things. These babies cant stay in there forever! We're so close now smile My first was early, my second went over, Ive got no idea how this one is going to go. Been feeling twinges, aches etc since last fri, and no other real 'clues' that baby might be here soon.

PastaandCheese Thu 20-Feb-14 10:38:31

Just to add no need to worry if you aren't getting any real signs. I delude myself daily that I'm getting 'twinges' but if I'm being totally honest it didn't add up to anything with DD.

Had some mild period pains in the evening, went to bed early and woke up contracting early hours and gave birth 12 hours later.

FredFlintstonesSister Thu 20-Feb-14 10:45:15

That's reassuring, Pasta. I've been thinking it'll be ages yet because I don't really have any symptoms. Might be able to get through it a bit easier if I think it could happen anytime now.

PastaandCheese Thu 20-Feb-14 10:55:09

I sobbed and sobbed that our baby was never coming out when my DH got home from work one evening and that I couldn't take anymore. I was utterly convinced I would go to 42 weeks at that point.

He went to get a takeaway when I calmed down (Indian funnily enough!) and the period type pains started when I was eating it.

I don't say this as some great comfort by the way. I fully sympathise with you.

ZingSweetApple Thu 20-Feb-14 11:30:30

have a good cry, a proper "I feel so sorry for myself wah wah wah" session.
really, just sob till you can't cry any more.

I call it "emotional wank" grin
you will feel very relaxed and free of pressure and stress afterwards.
and as your body and mind gets rid of the pent up stress you relax and the hormones needed to start off labour can easily kick in!

good luck!

FredFlintstonesSister Thu 20-Feb-14 11:33:35

Love the "emotional wank" idea! I'm currently listening to some shouty music, fairly loudly. Think it might be having the same effect.

GuyMartinsSideburns Fri 21-Feb-14 08:27:47

Morning Fred, how are you feeling today? I was getting lots of tightenings last night but as seems to be the current trend they all eased off when I went to bed. Im not sleeping well, Ive either got aching legs, heartburn or pins and needles. I look like crap today! Had the most tame madras last night then went for a long walk after. I was hoping my baby would've arrived this week so my other 2 children could've been involved but Im not very hopeful now.

Laughed at 'emotional wank' grin I think I had a couple of those last week, proper sobbing between bath and bedtime. Today Im clingy and didn't want my son to leave (hes at 'work' for the day with dh) so that could be a sign. I need to get out of the house but at the same time don't want to stray too far....

Wombat79 Fri 21-Feb-14 10:12:14

Feeling your pain! 40+1 here, had a show/lost plug, had cramping and now nothing. So this morning I am sat with acupuncture needles in (physio trained in acupuncture so doing it myself), pineapple and dates for breakfast and raspberry leaf tea. When I take these needles out I will go and have a bounce on my gym ball before going for a walk.
Ready .... me .... never;-) Baby on the other hand obviously has other ideas.
Good luck

Catsize Fri 21-Feb-14 10:26:16

Assuming you do not have SPD etc., I suggest going to the cinema, out for a quiet coffee with a magazine, an evening meal etc. Soon, these things will be impossible/very difficult. Am 41wks ish with DC2. My frustration is that I am on very limited maternity leave as I am self-employed and the main earner. Each day of no baby means a day younger he/she will be when I go back to work. Just have to enjoy my toddler more meanwhile.

FredFlintstonesSister Fri 21-Feb-14 10:56:49

Feeling a bit better today. Had some interesting shooting pains in my cervix this morning which got me a bit excited, although not in the good Las Vegas way I might add, but these have tailed off so no actual progress, BUT I do feel more positive generally. Having some friends down tomorrow night ( my due date) and going out for a meal so I won't feel like I'm sitting around waiting. Had my first decent sleep for a while last night so that's probably helping me feel more positive. It is frustrating but she'll arrive when she's good and ready I guess.

MyNameIsKenAdams Fri 21-Feb-14 11:01:20

I went for a meal at 40+2 and was utterly cnvinced that id reach the two weeks overdue. Cntractions started thefollowing morning at 4am and dd was here 24 hours later.

Try dancing - wworked for me!

Franchini Fri 21-Feb-14 11:02:23

Just want to say that I have every sympathy. I'm 34 with twins. Being induced in two weeks which seems like for ever!
I know this is going to sound daft but try to enjoy the calm before the storm! X

GuyMartinsSideburns Fri 21-Feb-14 13:26:57

In that case I reckon your baby will be here tomorrow grin With ds I remember dh and I had gone out for a meal. Was lovely and we decided to book again for the following week, a 'last meal before the baby arrives' thing, and what do you know? - That was the day he decided to arrive...

Glad youre feeling more positive smile I had a bit of a walk with dd, will prob go out again later this eve. Was bouncing on my ball earlier and felt some encouraging discomfort but that's stopped hmm

Mim78 Sat 22-Feb-14 21:30:49

Going out and doing things all half term with dd has helped me take my mind of it - I am 39 + 6 today.

Having said that it is awful - the discomfort and sleeplessness.

However the sunshine and having family about has really helped me today. Did some good nesting too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now