Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had 2 c-sections close together?

(12 Posts)
ANM07 Tue 18-Feb-14 07:41:18

Hi

I have a 10 month old and I have found myself unexpectedly pregnant again. I will be due in October. I had an emcs after a failed induction with my first, I would be tempted to go for another c section this time around however does anyone know if there are more risks after only having a c section 18 months prior with my little girl. Or is it the opposite is a VBAC more risky in this situation due to possible rupture?
Sorry if I am rambling we have had quite a shock this week and still trying to get my head around it.

PetiteRaleuse Tue 18-Feb-14 07:50:54

I had an emcs then an elcs when DC1 was 19mo. It was fine. Recovery was also fine but lifting the toddler will be tricky the first few weeks. ELCS is a much nicer experience than EMCS - you're not as tired for a start.

bellablot Tue 18-Feb-14 07:51:38

Hi

Didn't want to read and run but I will be having my 3rd section in April, 16 months after my second and 4 years after my 1st. I was NEVER told of any risk because they were close together. In fact, the whole reason I had my first section was because of a previous 3rd degree tear with DC 1 just 20 months before. I didn't need to have the second section (3rd DC), they told me I could VBAC but they couldn't tell me whether I would be likely to tear as bad again, hence the second section.

Hope all that makes sense. Basically I think it will be up to you and no real risk depending on your circumstances previously.

Hope this helps and good luck and congratulations!!! grin

Madcaplady Tue 18-Feb-14 07:55:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

andadietcoke Tue 18-Feb-14 08:01:22

My friend had two ELCSs ten (shock) months apart so it can definitely be an option.

bubblebabeuk Tue 18-Feb-14 08:05:27

I had 8 months between mine. 1st section was dd2 in distress and failure to grow at 34 weeks followed by ds1 at just 24 weeks following waters breaking at 20 weeks then a heavy bleed at 24 weeks. I was told to wait a year between sections but got caught by accident instead.... I dont think the issues with ds1 were directly caused by being too close together, but my consultants were very concerned about the lack of a proper gap.

bubblebabeuk Tue 18-Feb-14 08:06:32

I was told vbac wouldnt be attempted if less than a year after a CS.

MrsCDNinUK Tue 18-Feb-14 08:20:49

My 2 CS were 16 months apart (both pregnancies were planned). I had no issues. All of the OBs I saw said any less than 18 months apart and a CS was required as a VBAC would be too dangerous with a risk of a rupture. A friend of mine had her first two 17 months apart (also planned) and then a surprise one 14 months later. They weren't overly thrilled with the 3rd one but there were no issues.

ANM07 Tue 18-Feb-14 08:46:27

Thank you all. So in this scenario I would be able to request an elcs on Nhs do you think?

Showy Tue 18-Feb-14 08:50:10

Anybody can request a cs on the nhs. And you should be given one if that's what you want, particularly with an emcs last time round.

I had an emcs and was given a totally free choice next time. I attempted a vbac but had another emcs.

MrsCDNinUK Tue 18-Feb-14 11:17:21

An OB would likely think it's by far the safest choice with 18 months between, and wouldn't be comfortable with a VBAC, so it's probably not a matter of requesting one, but having one recommended. Many OBs will recommend an elcs within 2 years of the previous one.

harrygracejessica Tue 18-Feb-14 11:25:27

I had 2 15 months apart and the 2nd one was to deliver twins, they never commented it was close together - obviously just more strain on everything being multiples.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now