Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Manuka honey on c section wound

(19 Posts)
GemGem34 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:36:45

I'm getting well ahead of myself here but scared to death of picking up an infection after I have the section. Has anyone used manuka honey on wounds , especially section ones? I heard it helps heal faster and stops infection setting in, or clears infection if one starts. My section isn't for another 6 weeks so trying to get ahead of myself! I had a section 12 years ago and healed very quick but for some reason really have a panic on this time round!

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 16-Feb-14 23:19:50

My SDad had serious abdominal surgery. He had terrible problems getting his wound to heal. Mum finally got the practice nurse to order in some medical grade manuka honey. It was brilliant. They heartily recommend it to anyone.
Apparently you do need medical grade honey though, but Mum had no problem getting it from the nurse. The other issue is, aren't you meant to leave a CS scar open to the air? If you use honey you are going to need to dress it or end up in a horrendous sticky mess! confused grin

WorriedMouse Mon 17-Feb-14 15:45:17

My wound was covered until day 5 and the dressing was removed by a midwife and by then was healed really well. Midwives recommended using bio oil from about 10 days. 14 weeks on and it looks like a small scratch. No issues or infection.

GemGem34 Mon 17-Feb-14 22:33:04

The honey is called medihoney and you can buy dressing with it already in it. I'm so nervous about everything I'm being over cautious I think!! My first one healed no problems at all, so I'm just thinking this time round it won't?! I have heard about using bio oil too. I wish I would stop trying to look things up on naughty google!!!! smile

NorthEasterlyGale Tue 18-Feb-14 19:19:18

I had a wound infection after my first c section in 2012 and it eventually healed with a combination of antibiotics and manuka honey dressings applied by the practice nurse at the GPs. Was considering getting some in myself for this time round but haven't - decided I'm going to think positive and believe I won't have an infection this time. Really I won't. <tries hard to convince self>

Izzyalex Tue 18-Feb-14 19:22:18

Not sure about cs wound but I do know manuka honey is excellent on all types of wounds to promote healing and prevent infection

GemGem34 Tue 18-Feb-14 23:15:03

I might get some just incase! I've read it's good for a lot of things so will just use that excuse ;)

DisappointedHorse Tue 18-Feb-14 23:18:37

I have put normal 15+ Manuka honey on dental abscesses twice now and they've gone within 12 hours, it's brilliant.

I didn't know about medical grade honey. How is it different?

CoteDAzur Tue 18-Feb-14 23:25:04

I'm puzzled by these midwives and nurses applying honey to wounds.

Don't you people have proper antiseptic creams in the UK?

What do your doctors think?

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 19-Feb-14 06:21:05

No. we obviously don't. And we obviously don't use them on non healing wounds for months on end and then decide to try something that works. hmm
Its medical grade honey in pre prepared dressings available on the NHS. You can also get medical grade sugar for packing open wounds. And maggots are available for treatment. and even leeches too!

CoteDAzur Wed 19-Feb-14 08:01:37

Leeches and maggots <faints>

Do those bandages have actual honey on them (sticky, with honey smell) or just the antiseptic substance found in the honey? The latter would make sense if that's what you are calling "medical grade honey".

MrsCDNinUK Wed 19-Feb-14 10:11:51

To answer your question, no. I've had 2 c/s (having another in 2 weeks) and have also had 3 abdominal surgeries and never had an infection. I do believe it's common to receive antibiotic through the IV or during the c-section to prevent infections. It's one of those things I think I'd worry about if it happened and not spend much energy worrying about before as it's not typical.

Showy Wed 19-Feb-14 10:19:24

I know somebody who had maggot treatment. Maggots placed in situ, sealed in and said friend went about his business WITH MAGGOTS IN HIM. I couldn't stop thinking about it. I found myself going "oh that's lovely, the house purchase has gone through <YOU'VE GOT BLOODY MAGGOTS IN YOU> and have you looked at removal companies yet <WRIGGLING BASTARD MAGGOTS> I hear J Stuart's Removals is excellent <UNCLEAN UNCLEAN UNCLEAN>"

It was most distracting but clever and meant he didn't have to have extensive surgery. That said, my exSIL had an operation on the NHS years ago, had a lot of pain and problems in the days afterwards and when they removed the plaster (bones reset) 10 days later, there were maggots in the wound. She had not requested maggots.

Anyway, I've had two cs, two easy recoveries and you cannot see my scar at all. I left it well alone. Dressing removed the day after the op, stitches removed after 5 days, bath in salt water and pat dry.

I think often you focus on one element of the cs to stop you worrying about it in its entirety. This is normal. Get some dressings if it puts your mind at rest, but I really think you're building this up into something it isn't. You'll be fine. Congratulations!

duchesse Wed 19-Feb-14 10:27:13

MIL had manuka honey on a leg ulcer (caused by barking her shin on an open oven door) last year. This was after weeks and weeks of dressings, antibiotic cream, antiseptics etc..., none of which worked The only thing that did work was the manuka honey. It comes in little tubes.

I am so glad that the NHS is open to new treatments and ideas and is not so busy prescribing inappropriate antibiotics randomly that they are creating a ticking time bomb of resistance like certain other countries. <stares hard at France and the US>

duchesse Wed 19-Feb-14 10:29:13

Gem, to answer your question, a wound infection is highly unlikely but I seriously recommend you do not have a bath in the hospital. Have a shower instead. The bathrooms are not cleaned as well as you might think. <remembers the blood stains on the outside of the loo in the postnatal ward that stayed for three days despite the alleged strict cleaning regime>

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 19-Feb-14 10:32:45

I am laughing at Showy and the maggots smile

I've had 3 c-sections and just did nothing with the wounds, no infections and a nice neat scar.

Surgeon even complimented me on my neat scar on uterus when they did 3rd c-section - the things one chats about during a c-section wink

Good luck with it! Perhaps get some in but I personally wouldn't use unless the midwife recommded it. But then I took arnica and I know how that stuff is viewed on here wink

GemGem34 Thu 20-Feb-14 21:40:07

Thanks everyone for your opinions, I just worry too much! The bandages have the honey impregnated in them somehow but are very expensive. It doesn't help I'm reading up on horror stories on google, and as I said I've had a section 12 years ago and all was fine then so don't know why I'm worrying so much this time?

CoteDAzur Thu 20-Feb-14 22:13:46

""oh that's lovely, the house purchase has gone through <YOU'VE GOT BLOODY MAGGOTS IN YOU> and have you looked at removal companies yet <WRIGGLING BASTARD MAGGOTS> I hear J Stuart's Removals is excellent <UNCLEAN UNCLEAN UNCLEAN>" "

shock grin

I'm not sure if I might prefer losing a limb to having live maggots crawling inside it for even a short while.

AHardDaysWrite Thu 20-Feb-14 22:43:18

When I had my elcs last year they out a dressing on in theatre (called a honeycomb dressing incidentally, but I don't think there was honey in it!) and that stayed on until day 5 when I had my stitches out. So you'd probably have to request they use a different dressing in theatre.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now