Talk

Advanced search

Pain in lower back after childbirth

(7 Posts)
kaatieexox Sat 15-Feb-14 02:31:26

Hi, not sure of I've posted in the right place but just wanted some advice.

I have birth 3 weeks ago to a gorgeous baby boy but had quite a bad labour. He was back to back and had to be delivered by forceps. I had a had to have a episiotomy and had some internal grazing from the forceps. (I think it's 3rd degree too as it's all the way round, yuck!)

The first 2 weeks most of my pain was in my stitches but they seem to be healing ok now. Now i have got constant lower back pain. It hurts to sit down, roll over in bed and even when I walk. I fell on my tailbone quite a few years ago and the pain seems to be similar.

Is this normal after giving birth? And has anyone else had it? I'm hoping it passes soon!

Thanks smile

kaatieexox Sat 15-Feb-14 02:32:44

Gave* have* sorry on my iPhone!

cravingcake Sat 15-Feb-14 09:16:29

I had a horrible first birth with my DS, forceps, 4th degree tear, episiotomy, shoulder dystocia.

I would recommend getting referred to physio asap. I had gynae physio to help me with my pelvic floor exercises and also normal physio due to back pain. I was diagnosed as hypermobile which very simply means my joints move further than they should. Forceps physically move your pelvis so we thats what caused my back problems.

Take paracetamol & ibuprofen as required for the pain but do try to get referred.

lljkk Sat 15-Feb-14 09:21:57

I had a straightforward births with no episiotomy/stitches/forceps and I had backache too after all of them, for months afterwards although maybe milder than you guys describe. I think it was pregnancy that weakened my back & labour that finished it off (contractions hurt up to my ribs).
Physio sounds good.

kaatieexox Sat 15-Feb-14 11:16:48

Thanks ladies. Will definitely look into getting referred. Has your pain gone now craving after going to physio?

cravingcake Sat 15-Feb-14 11:47:42

My pain unfortunately is more permanent, we suspect its nerve damage as well as weak back as i was on some strong pain killers to try to help (amitriptilyne and naproxen, although not together). The good thing was that when i was pregnant for second time the pain lessened. I came off all the pain killers prior to ttc and was nervous about the pain but pregnancy hormones seem to have helped me.

My DC2 is almost 4 weeks old (born by elcs) so its too early to tell yet if y back pain will return.

MolotovCocktail Sat 15-Feb-14 20:30:51

I developed coccydynia (tailbone pain) as result of dd1's birth 5 years ago. 31hr labour; 2 hours unsuccessful pushing and eventual assisted delivery. Indescribable pain in my tailbone which I still get discomfort from now.

Dd2 was delivered by maternal request ELCS in 2012 because I couldn't cope with that pain again.

I had physio for months after the first birth and if I we have any more babies, I would request another ELCS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now