Talk

Advanced search

24 hours so far and I can't take this any more :'(

(20 Posts)
ras105 Thu 13-Feb-14 19:00:03

My waters broke at 3pm and since 6pm yesterday I have been having contractions. At 1am I went to the hospital and they couldn't even see my cervix, let alone being dilated! They explained I was in the first stage of labour and I needed the contractions to be regular and much stronger before coming in.
Since then I have spoken to the midwives 4 or 5 times and every time they just say to take paracetomol and stay at home until the contractions are more consistent and longer.
I am soooooo tired! This has been over 25 hours now of contractions every 5 - 10 minutes. I've had baths, used a tens machine and got my OH to give me massages but I really can't take this any more!!

How long is this first stage meant to last and are the midwives telling the truth when they say the only pain relief I can have is paracetomol?! Also, if I am struggling at this stage does this mean I will really find the next stage tough?

LadyMaryLikesCake Thu 13-Feb-14 19:03:33

Call them and tell them that you're in slow labour and that you're exhausted. I'm not sure what the proper procedure is for this but it wouldn't be a good idea for them to do nothing, you'll need your energy for when you do deliver.

I hope you're OK thanks

LadyMaryLikesCake Thu 13-Feb-14 19:07:22

I found some information for you www.mymidwife.ca/articles/slowlabour.html Please do call the hospital though.

HorraceTheOtter Thu 13-Feb-14 19:09:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

birdbrain21 Thu 13-Feb-14 19:10:36

Didn't want to read and run sounds like your having a hard time. I was induced so don't know if it's different but my first stage was relly strong contractions every 5 mins for about 7-8 hours and I found it hard to cope I can't imagine 24 hours!
What hospital are you going to and how far away is it? If your contractions are every 5 mins I would consider going back to be checked again next stage can be much qicker Iwent from 4-10cm in less then a couple of hours. It's really hard and must be frustrating to be told take paracetamol! Have you tried a bath/shower? It might be worth going back in just so they can see your not coping with pain and maybe can give you some gas and air if nothing else....
lots of good luck smile thanks hope you have your gorgeous little one in your arms soon it's the best feeling in the world!!!grin

PavlovtheCat Thu 13-Feb-14 19:11:33

I agree with lady tell them you have been contracting for a while now and you are exhausted, you need to come in for pain relief as you can no longer cope with your tens machine. Or. Just go in and tell them you are not leaving.

You are doing fabulously, and although this doesn't seem like it now, it will be over soon and you will be cuddling your beautiful bundle of joy.

Good luck x

Optimist1 Thu 13-Feb-14 19:14:29

And you will have a Very Special Valentine, as will my daughter-in-law, who's having a CS tomorrow morning! Wishing you all the best.

Showy Thu 13-Feb-14 19:16:31

Between waters breaking and having the baby, my labours were 31 and 38 hours respectively. First time round I was so exhausted. I refused all pain relief and did all that marching, ball bouncing stuff. By the time dd was dragged out, I was so tired, I was hallucinating and slumped on a bed too tired even to cry.

Second time round I knew I needed to not have that start to ds's life so I slept as much as possible. I would have taken drugs if I needed them (painless labour though) and I made sure I was resting, sleeping, eating or drinking. My aims for that labour were to avoid pain and exhaustion. To that end, I'd recommend being completely up front with the midwives. You are shattered. If you are in too much pain to rest, then ask for pain relief. If you can get comfortable in any way, I'd do it and just stay there. Conserve as much energy as possible. At this point, ignore any advice to try and bring on labour or speed things up. Listen to your body. Demand help. Can somebody be pushy for you?

You are going to do this. It will be fine. Relax your shoulders, try and spend some quiet moments remembering why you're doing this.

Reallynotsuretbh Thu 13-Feb-14 19:20:45

You're doing really well smile
Get them to check you they told me my contractions were too far apart and nothing was happening yet pestered them to check me and I was 6 cm dilated even when I was in the final stages I was contracting 5 mins apart its rare but it can happen.
Keep going smile x

Laucar Thu 13-Feb-14 19:23:22

Poor you sad I had a very similar latent labour stage (42 hours of irregular contractions before it got going). The hospital gave me cocodemol and a sweep which finally got me to the three in ten minutes I needed to stay in. I know you won't be able to sleep but try and conserve your strength. Eat regularly and have baths. I would go back in the morning to at least get a cocodemol and see how far along you are. I know it feels never ending but each contraction is pushing your cervix forward and opening it - you are making progress. Good luck - it won't be too much longer until you have a lovely squishy baby and all this will be a distant memory.

redcaryellowcar Thu 13-Feb-14 19:26:23

Are they aware your waters have broken, i am not sure of exact timescales, but they will usually have a time frame in which they want someone to deliver after waters breaking?
I agree with other posters if you are in significant pain, go back and get something stronger, rest as much as you can.

PinkFondantFancy Thu 13-Feb-14 19:31:10

I would switch off your phone and go and rest and meditate somewhere dark and quiet - you need to let your primitive brain take over so take away all the things like munsnetting, phones, conversations etc. You can do this!

whereisthewitch Thu 13-Feb-14 19:31:12

I had co codemol in early labour, you could try that? Really feel for you OP, I always was under the impression that when your waters went you had to have the baby within a certain no. of hours otherwise it could cause infection?
Hope this baby comes tonight !

Stockhausen Thu 13-Feb-14 19:47:35

Uoure doing brilliantly op even if you dont feel like it. Speak to the hospital but try to rest & keep hydrated in the mean time.

Good luck x

RainYourRottingMyDhaliaBulbs Thu 13-Feb-14 20:49:25

I had this for two days, kept going with bouncing on birthing ball and as they got worse...the tens machine.

RainYourRottingMyDhaliaBulbs Thu 13-Feb-14 20:50:54

Basically when you can't speak to the MW because you are in so much pain, then then they know you need to come in!

The first time I went in, I was walking talking and so on, second time I could barely get out the car and was put on wheel chair at doors.

birdbrain21 Thu 13-Feb-14 22:17:30

I hope no replies mean things kicked off properly for the op and she's now in hospital in established labour or maybe even holding a newborn! (threads like this always make me broody and my dd is only 10 months wink)
Do come and update us when you can op good luck!

FrankelInFoal Thu 13-Feb-14 22:26:16

I can't speak from experience yet as I'm 37+2 with my first.

The advice my antenatal teacher gave to us if early labour runs into the evening/night is rest, rest and more rest. Even if you just lie on the sofa and watch films you are giving your body a chance to catch its breath. The theory is that it is the pressure of the baby on your cervix that stimulates the production of oxytocin which moves labour on. Hence why they encourage you to be upright and moving as much as possible in early labour. By lying down you take some of that pressure off your cervix and therefore slow the production of oxytocin.

spritesoright Fri 14-Feb-14 12:02:42

Yes, I'm surprised they haven't asked you to come in again for another check. My waters went early last time as well and hospital's policy was that they will augment your labour after 24 hours because of risk of infection.
I hope things pick up, you're doing great. Labour is bloody hard work.

AntoinetteCosway Fri 14-Feb-14 12:17:26

My labour was similar and I ended up being induced after 48 hours of contractions (that got me to a whole 3cm dilated!) because it started with my waters going. Hope things pick up on their own for you OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now