Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone go into natural labour before their ELCS date?

(16 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Thu 13-Feb-14 11:04:10

Morning all,

As my ELCS date draws nearer I find myself panicking over it. My current worry is that I'm going to go into labour earlier than my CS date and then panicking as to how this is dealt with...

I'm having my ELCS at 39+3 and was worried this was quite late. My Obstetrician is totally confident though that I won't go into labour at any point before hand hmm How she can be so sure about that I don't know.....

Has this happened to anyone and please reassure me that it doesn't mean DIASTER!!!!

RedToothBrush Thu 13-Feb-14 11:18:37

Is going into labour the disaster or just the giving birth bit?

I've lurked for a few years and only seen two posters end up having a vb when they were supposed to have a CS. In cases where women have gone into labour prior to ELCS date they do seem to be able to perform a CS promptly and calmly.

Its my understanding that the thing to do is to go to hospital at the first hint of labour rather than wait like you would do if you were having a vb.

That's what I'm clinging to myself at least!

Snobble Thu 13-Feb-14 11:36:11

I was having this exact same worry!

I havent been given my ELECS date yet but im 33+2 at the moment so not too worried, however it will be somewhere between 39-40 weeks.

I was at my NCT class on monday when i broached the question, she advised me that if you have a date but go into natural labour beforehand, if you ring the mat ward your booked into, they will ask you to come strait in and it will be classed as an emergency section. So basicly you will be given priority over anyone booked in for an ELECS that day.

She isnt a midwife, but works with the womens hospital in birmingham, so shes pretty clued up on this stuff. Would double check with your midwife at next appt anyway.

harrygracejessica Thu 13-Feb-14 12:18:13

I did twice and both times just get put straight in for a section before the ELCS on the list.

PenguinsEatSpinach Thu 13-Feb-14 14:31:09

The normal thing if you go into labour once an ELCS had been agreed would be to phone them as soon as possible and an 'emergency' section would then be performed.

Which bit are you worried about particularly? Yes, it wouldn't be quite as nice and calm because obviously they are against the clock a bit more and you can't just rock up 'next Monday at 9am', but it would be ok. Honest.

Writerwannabe83 Thu 13-Feb-14 14:47:37

Thanks everyone, I feel much more reassured now.

I think I'm scared that they will say, "Wow, you're actually 7cm dilated, why don't we just try for a natural birth?"

I just have this vision of them changing their mind about me having a CS if I'm already in labour.

ChaffinchOfDoom Thu 13-Feb-14 14:53:49

my MW just says phone the triage and state clearly you are a planned section so they don't tell you to have a bath or summat!

if your water breaks/lose plug/ start contracting call straight away.
I am also having a section, currently 33+2 <snap snobble> and having lots of braxtons which I never noticed with my 1st 2 kids...

PenguinsEatSpinach Thu 13-Feb-14 16:26:21

IIRC your section has been agreed based on your personal medical history hasn't it and they wanted you to have an early epidural if not?

Firstly, if you ring and go in from the first signs, it is unlikely you would be 7cm with a first baby. grin

But even of you were, I don't see that they would change the plan in your circumstances. Except maybe if you were crowning as you arrived! !

Writerwannabe83 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:42:14

You're right Penguin - I'm being totally irrational. I think I'm just getting very nervous about it all. I had an appointment with my Cardiologist last week (just routine check-up) and she wasn't too impressed that I was having an ELCS and said that she would encourage me to have a natural one. She wanted to know who'd made the decision that the ELCS was the route to go down. She made me feel quite crap and I'm just worried that she is going to try and get it changed or tell my Obstetrician that she doesn't agree and then I won't be allowed one.

PenguinsEatSpinach Thu 13-Feb-14 16:44:38

It isn't your cardiologist's decision though, is it. If your obstetric consultant has agreed a section is best then I doubt they'll be that impressed if a specialist in another area tries swinging their weight around!

By the way, didn't mean to sound like a stalker, I just remember your name from a few of your earlier threads. smile

Writerwannabe83 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:50:12

That's ok penguin - I wasn't worried about you being a stalker smile
I am just worried as one of the reasons behind my ELCS decision is because of my cardiac condition, so if my Cardiologist is saying my condition does not justify a CS then I assumed her view would carry some weight if she did speak to my Obstetrician. I tried my best to act nonchalant about my heart condition and said the ELCs decision was based on my other medical condition and although it distracted her questions a little I could see she wasn't overly convinced by it all. Thankfully I haven't got to see her again until after the birth. She's made me doubt myself though - she's made me feel quite selfish about wanting to have a CS sad

monopoly123 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:59:22

I was booked in for a section for my 2nd at 39+1, I went into labour at 37+3. I called the labour ward, was told they were busy and see what happens in the next hour. Called them again, went in - they didn't have a room so had to sit in a waiting room full of car magazines for a bit. Finally got a room and got out on a trace, which confirmed I was in labour. MW asked how I felt about natural, I said no way and gave brief outline of why I was booked in. I was 5cm dilated when she examined me, consent forms signed and I was in theatre 20mins. She was born at 2:30am which wasn't to plan but even though it was an emergency it all felt very calm.

PenguinsEatSpinach Thu 13-Feb-14 17:04:22

There is nothing selfish about wanting a section. You are choosing to go through major surgery for the benefit of yourself and your baby. That's pretty far from selfish I would say smile

Oblomov Thu 13-Feb-14 17:30:55

Happened to me. Twice. I called hospital. Went in. Had c section. that easy.

Tranquilitybaby Mon 17-Feb-14 01:10:58

Could you perhaps make an appointment with your cardiologist again to ask why they would prefer you to have a natural delivery. Obviously an ELCS is major surgery so maybe it's felt that an attempt at natural delivery would be less risky for you?

X

ChrisTheSheep Tue 18-Feb-14 18:10:04

I'm having an ELCS with DS2 in a couple of weeks (if he hangs in there that long!) and am also worried about going into labour beforehand. I had a four-day nightmare (natural, spontaneous) labour with DS1 at 37 weeks, and am already getting lots of BH, cervical pain etc at 36 weeks with DS2. Head is 4/5 engaged too!

I had a big panic in the doctor's office today, and she reassured me that I'd still be able to have a CS with DS2, unless he is literally crowning when I arrive at the hospital, in which case there is really not a lot of alternative. Depending on how far advanced you are when you arrive at the hospital, it might be classed as an EMCS or (I think) an urgent ELCS?

Generally the advice seems to be to call up as soon as you have a hint that anything is going on: better to be sent home with a false alarm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now