Talk

Advanced search

Induction for slowed growth

(9 Posts)
Confitdecanard Wed 12-Feb-14 13:11:22

I am 37 weeks and at my consultant appointment last week they said that baby's growth has slowed down. If it hasn't picked up at my appointment tomorrow then they might decide to induce me. The consultant said this might be a difficult process for me as baby is not engaged yet.

Does anyone have any experience of induction for this reason? Any tips or things I need to know?

TIA

HectorVector Wed 12-Feb-14 23:31:07

I had an induction but not for this reason. If the consultant doesn't think induction will be straight forward can you opt for an elective c section instead. I had an induction followed by an emergency c section and the c section was fine, it might be worth asking if this is a option for you.

Confitdecanard Wed 12-Feb-14 23:46:55

Thanks for replying. I am going to ask tomorrow. I have been bouncing on my exercise ball to encourage the head to engage. Will see what tomorrow brings.

HectorVector Wed 12-Feb-14 23:51:22

There are a few midwives on mn. It might be worth reposting or bumping tomorrow to see what they reckon.

All I can say (hopefully without worrying you - reason was very different) but my induction failed and I went on to have an emergency c section. With hindsight I'd have opted for an elective c section.

Hobbes8 Thu 13-Feb-14 00:11:46

I had an induction at 36 weeks for this reason. It took a long time - i went into hospital on friday evening and they tried a sweep and a pessary, neither of which did anything, before eventually breaking my waters in sunday morning and putting me on a syntocin drip which got things going. I had a heart rate monitor strapped around my bump the whole time, which was a bit uncomfortable. I was in a bit of a panic when I found out I had to be induced, but actually once in hospital I was more bored than anything else, as everything seemed to take forever!

Despite all the faffing, the birth was fine. I had an epidural but probably could have managed on gas and air. My son was 4lb 11oz and needed some time in special care to stabilise his blood sugars. He's a strapping 2.5 year old now though!

It wasn't the ideal birth experience, but I never felt like the baby was in danger, and I felt fine afterwards. I suppose I would have had a CS if it had gone on any longer, or if the heart rate had dropped.

Good luck! Either way you'll get to meet your baby soon x

Confitdecanard Thu 13-Feb-14 11:14:07

Thank you both. I have an appointment this afternoon so I will know more then. I'll make sure my hospital bag has some things to keep me entertained in case they decide to induce and it takes days. I have been admitted for threatened pre-term labour twice this time so I've been psyched up for weeks. Now I'm 37 weeks I feel like I'm overdue even though I know I should be really thankful.

HectorVector Thu 13-Feb-14 20:13:14

How did you get on? smile

Confitdecanard Fri 14-Feb-14 01:55:27

Induction was booked for next week but then got home and my waters broke! Now being induced later today if I don't start to labour naturally. Thanks for asking! Must try and sleep for a bit...

HectorVector Fri 14-Feb-14 07:54:04

Good luck and all the best! You'll soon get to meet your baby. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now