Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fears over Elcs

(12 Posts)
mammamiaaaaa Tue 11-Feb-14 23:14:18

I am going in for an elcs next week, after last time having an emcs.
Last time despite being in labour for days and ending with cs, it all went as well as you could wish for.
I am starting to get scared (perhaps irrational thoughts) that somehow this time something will go wrong-with the op, with the baby, just something. That they will botch it up and I won't be as fortunate as last time, or I'll leave minus some organs etc. I'm getting nervous. Is this normal? Please tell me your reassuring elcs stories after an emcs.

KittyMcAllister Tue 11-Feb-14 23:20:37

I had an ELCS following an EMCS, it was a much nicer experience minus the exhaustion of labour and the panic/ uncertainty that something was wrong with the baby that I'd had the first time round. The only issue I had was having to fast from the night before, then my elective was delayed by an emergency so I didn't get in till 12 - I was ravenous when I came out! But all went beautifully, the recovery was much easier and I would heartily recommend it. Best of luck.

stressbucket1 Tue 11-Feb-14 23:23:15

I feel exactly the same! Have a planned CS week after next after long labour and EMCS last time. No real advice but maybe its normal if we both feel the same way?. I was very nervous before my last delivery too though.

RainYourRottingMyDhaliaBulbs Wed 12-Feb-14 08:38:28

Its entirely normal!Its surgery, but compared to the range of things that can go wrong in labour, i think your in a better place and if something does go wrong you have experts right there with you...and you wont be in pain...

only a few posters have said they didnt like their elc, infact i can think of only one, most including me LOVED IT. ( compared to labour)...

compare that to all the threads about labuor gone wrong and issues after....

your in good hands,....its planned...your lucky! enjoy

Tranquilitybaby Wed 12-Feb-14 11:32:17

For what it's worth, my ELCS was such a lovely experience, very relaxed. Totally normal to feel scared but try not to over analyze, I'm sure everything will go smoothly.

SavetheMockingBird Wed 12-Feb-14 11:40:49

My ELCS was a lovely relaxing experience. Much calmer than my EMCS for DC1. No dramas and days of being in labour, recovery was quicker too. It is still major surgery, but it's much better because you are not shattered by labour and you are stronger and will cope better. Hope it goes well!

Poppy7 Wed 12-Feb-14 13:15:22

Pretty much what Kitty said, even down to the timing - had DC2 by ELCS 2 weeks ago and very positive experience. Recovery has gone well and I feel much less exhausted etc than I did after DC1 (3 days of failed induction followed by EMCS). It's a calm experience - the obs team do these all the time, and they can take their time provided there are no complications.

Larty74 Wed 12-Feb-14 22:08:43

I love these kinds of threads! envy I am scheduled for an elcs in about 4 weeks time for dc2. Dc1 also long labour resulting in emcs, and to follow, had a really rubbish recovery that drug itself out for 15 weeks. I recently had a few niggly thoughts the other day about things going wrong, but Rain couldnt have put it better! To be honest, I am really looking forward to it now!

All the best!

CrispyFB Wed 12-Feb-14 23:19:51

My EMCS was a not-huge-emergency EMCS and went fine.

I had an ELCS the next time and that was nice and chilled, no issues at all.

Due to have another ELCS next month and despite experiences of two perfectly fine c-sections, I'm still nervous. I think it's perfectly natural to consider the what-ifs even though the statistics are so much on your side. Nearly everyone has a nice chilled experience, honest they do! It's just your mind plays on these things..

ZingSweetApple Thu 13-Feb-14 01:29:44

of course it's normal to be anxious!

an ELCS will be a much calmer affair though, precisely because it is planned - so no panic/urgency/stress/very possible life & death situation as it is with an EMCS!

ask if you can take your own music to listen to while the op goes on - it will help you feel more comfortable/relaxed.

I had ELSC with DS4 and I felt quite scared actually!

because you know the day way ahead you build the event up in your head counting down the days, the hours - it's natural to be quite "worked up" the closer you get.

Not sure what to suggest, but I hope you can find a way to either relax or keep busy so your attention and focus is temporarily elsewhere.

good luckthanks

mammamiaaaaa Thu 13-Feb-14 22:35:32

Thank you all x

GemGem34 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:40:43

I'm having one in six weeks and I'm glad I'm not the only one having these thoughts! I had a section 12 years ago and all was fine and healed very quick. So this time I'm thinking something is going to go wrong as it went smoothly the last time! But after reading comments that people have the same similar thoughts, it's made me feel a bit better! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now