Talk

Advanced search

What's your top post partum recovery tip?

(64 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Mon 10-Feb-14 21:07:57

?

emsyj Mon 10-Feb-14 21:09:59

Do lots of pelvic floor exercises.

bananananacoconuts Mon 10-Feb-14 21:10:11

Hold a cold flannel on your bits when you need a poo to stop the panic of splitting your stitches!

MrChow Mon 10-Feb-14 21:11:42

Stay in your pjs, sleep when your baby sleeps, feed him/her on demand, limit visitors, eat nice food and generally have a lovely baby moon smile

littlebluedog12 Mon 10-Feb-14 21:13:29

Witch hazel on a maternity pad for stitches. Also a few drops in the bathwater too.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 10-Feb-14 21:14:09

You look after the baby, your partner looks after you.

TheUnstoppableWindmill Mon 10-Feb-14 21:14:20

Spend a lot of time lying down! (Sod those who tell you that getting up and about aids recovery). grin

And yes, cold flannel against bits, and if you have a graze/tear try sluicing with a water bottle when you wee to prevent stinging (took me a long time to get that right but such a help when I did) or wee in the shower.

nilbyname Mon 10-Feb-14 21:15:25

Stay in bed, co sleep, accept offers of help, eat well and drink lots of water.

Be kind to yourself and accept that sometimes it will be hard.

Buy big grannie pants, open front night shirts for sleeping in.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Mon 10-Feb-14 21:16:10

Tea tree oil in the bath and (although lots of people don't agree) Arnica tablets.

PoloMintCity Mon 10-Feb-14 21:18:37

Tea tree oil and lavender oil in a daily bath, drink lots if breast feeding, eat as well as you can, rest as much as you can, don't do too much too quickly, remember that you can't spoil a newborn with cuddles! smile

emsyj Mon 10-Feb-14 21:20:03

Ooooh, I bought a truckload of Primark nightshirts - £4.50 each, buy a dozen so when you spray milk all over them you have lots of spares. Get the biggest size so you can tumble dry them (ignoring the care label). I am still wearing them even though DD2 is now a year old and I've stopped breastfeeding blush.

MoreSkyThanWeNeed Mon 10-Feb-14 21:20:07

My knickers kept rubbing on my c section scar. After sticking my hand down my trousers ten times to unstick them from my scar (ick), my mum suggested putting a pad there. Duh. But I would never have thought of it.

Oh and your favourite food too, obvs.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Mon 10-Feb-14 21:29:47

Emsyj I am still wearing the giant GIANT m&s black knickers I bought for the post partum phase. DD is 16 months. I can't give them up.

emsyj Mon 10-Feb-14 21:32:16

grin

NationMcKinley Mon 10-Feb-14 21:35:18

Arnica tablets, lavender oil in the bath with a tiny amount of tea tree oil. Eat and drink properly and be gentle with yourself smile

vichill Mon 10-Feb-14 21:35:45

One of those isotonic drink bottles with the nozzle things full of cold waterndirected on your fadge as you wee. When wiping I got a wod of wet kitchen towel and just pressed clean.

GingerMaman Mon 10-Feb-14 21:37:40

Stay in bed. Accept offers of help. Limit guests. And sleep when baby sleeps.

kotinka Mon 10-Feb-14 21:37:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

failingmammalian Mon 10-Feb-14 21:38:04

Linseed .. Lots of it ,to make that first post partum poo effortless!

kotinka Mon 10-Feb-14 21:38:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PenguinsDontEatKale Mon 10-Feb-14 21:38:58

Stay in your pj's.

People don't expect someone in their pjs to make them a cup of tea or generally run around after them. Back in your own clothes = host.

expatinscotland Mon 10-Feb-14 21:40:05

One of those towel-shaped ice packs. Cover with kitchen roll.

Also, Tena Lady pants instead of maternity towels.

theborrower Mon 10-Feb-14 21:44:27

Get high waisted granny knickers (essential after a CS especially), stay in your pj's for at least a week, and ban visitors for at least a week, preferably 2. That's what I tell friends when they're pregnant, and what I'm reminding myself of ahead of DC2 arriving in the summer.

BrennanHasAMangina Mon 10-Feb-14 21:46:04

Exercise during pregnancy. It helps SO much with everything.

PlateSpinningAtAllTimes Mon 10-Feb-14 21:46:52

Yes to tena pants! Amazing things. Also lots of rest, eat what you fancy mm, cheese , let other people do stuff, sleep whenever you get the chance, plenty of painkillers to take the edge off, eat lots of dried fruit to avoid constipation.....whoops, that's more than 1 tip...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now