Talk

Advanced search

Any of you who had a water birth first time manage it the second time?

(7 Posts)
Twinkletwink Sun 09-Feb-14 09:49:27

Just that really.

With DC I had a 20 hour labour and a water birth. Loved the water and only had gas and air.

Tried to do as much of the labour at home. Kept calling the hospital but because I could still hold a conversation they said to not come in.

Finally went in when in sufficient pain and asked for examination. They were reluctant as didn't think I was close and warned me about being sent home. When she did examine me I was 7cm and they sent me up to a delivery room with a pool. DC born a few hours later.

My fear this time is things happening quicker as it's the second and not knowing when to leave for hospital. Really want a water birth again.

Did anyone manage it? How long was your second labour?

LovesToBake Sun 09-Feb-14 12:26:29

My first birth was very quick and I was similarly fobbed off when I arrived at hospital, only to discover the baby was definitely en route and I was lucky they managed to fill the pool in time for me to hop in - baby arrived about 35 mins after I got into the pool. The whole labour from first sign (waters breaking) to baby was 3 hours exactly. Partly for this reason, now that I'm expecting DC2, I am planning a home birth. Would this be an option for you? Partly because I want another water birth and have been told it could be even quicker, so the chances of getting to hospital and actually getting my calm water birth up there are slim.

oliviaoctopus Sun 09-Feb-14 12:30:36

I did it both times. Second labour was 1 and half first pain until end. 20 minutes of which were in hospital.

AnyCrunchyCarrotFucker Sun 09-Feb-14 12:33:30

Ihad a home water birth with dc1, which was fab. Supposed to go the mlu for dc2 but woke up in labour and DS was born 20 mins later in the dining room

YouPutYourRightArmIn Sun 09-Feb-14 13:58:54

I had a quick home water birth for dc1 - 4 hours total, about 45 mins in the pool just before dd turned up! Am a bit worried that this time round (due in the summer) it'll be even quicker but am deffo planning on staying home for that reason. Not sure we'll even have time to fill the pool up but would rather be home and hospital is max 5 mins drive if we need it.

Twinkletwink Sun 09-Feb-14 19:21:48

Gosh. All really quick then! I'm too nervous for a home birth and hospital isn't around the corner if we needed it so maybe I'll have to not be as brave as last time and go much earlier (just hate the idea of driving back)

First labour was v similar to mums. Five days early. She said her second just flew out really quickly after first signs of labour. Extra nervous

YouPutYourRightArmIn Sun 09-Feb-14 22:01:02

When are you due twinkle?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now