Talk

Advanced search

Second c section at broomfield hospital

(8 Posts)
GemGem34 Thu 06-Feb-14 18:29:54

Hi everyone,
What the title says really! This is my second one after almost 13 years, and to be honest I'm terrified something will go wrong. First section was elective at St. John's hospital, chelmsford as she was breech. So this one I asked for as was too scared to try for a vbac, but wondering what broomfield hospital is like. I have it in my head something is going to go horribly wrong, so need reasurrance too. Thanks ladies smile

MolotovCocktail Thu 06-Feb-14 19:40:50

Just marking my place as I am interested in 2nd time elcs stories smile

MrsPatrickDempsey Thu 06-Feb-14 22:11:56

Broomfield is fab - I worked there and at St Johns for 17 years and I am proud to say I was a midwife there, compared to other hospitals I have had experience
of in Essex. I do not live in Chelmsford but chose to have my babies at STJ. The midwives and level of clinical management and expertise is good and the building/facilities are outstanding. All the best.

GemGem34 Fri 07-Feb-14 08:05:18

Thank you mrspatrickdempsey. I don't know why I have got such a panic on when I have been through it before! To be fair, I have had no problems with broomfield so far, and when I've needed appointments I'm seen very quickly, and everyone is very polite. I have to stop reading up on google for things that go wrong sad

confusedofengland Fri 07-Feb-14 10:15:25

I had my first EMCS at St John's in December 2008, then a second EMCS at Broomfield in April 2011 (so it was still fairly new). I'm due to have an ELCS at Broomfield in a fortnight.

I have found it to be a very clean, pleasant hospital, the only thing I wasn't keen on last time is that there is no communal area for patients. At St John's, there was a lovely breakfast room where you could sit & chat to other new mums while the midwives kept an eye on the babies & also partners could store/heat up food there. At Broomfield, there is pretty much your bed, mine was on a ward of 4 & most of them had their curtains closed & so when DS was asleep it could be a bit boring!

The operation itself was well-executed & quickly done, recovery was also fine, although I did have to keep pressing them to hand me DS for a breastfeed.

I also felt that the nurses/midwives got a little fed up with me buzzing when I needed DS passing to me for a feed in the first hours after the op (was too sore to turn to pick him up & anaesthetic to a while to wear off), so they seemed a bit brusque. They also insisted on taking DS away for a few hours in the night (he was born shortly before midnight), which made me feel uncomfortable & sad - I know they did it so I could rest, but I just wanted to be with my baby!

So, all in all, a positive experience but a few minor things I was unhappy about.

GemGem34 Fri 07-Feb-14 11:03:38

I had the midwives take my baby for the night when I had my first and only bring her back for feeding! Only because I was worried I was going to upset the other mums! Plus I needed sleep so I'm not too worried if they did that!! I did hear from someone that everyone had their own rooms? I did feel uncomfortable with that as I though what if something happened and no one would be around! So it's nice to know there are wards which personally I would rather be on!

confusedofengland Fri 07-Feb-14 11:33:09

I didn't have my own room, but was on a small ward/wing with 3 other ladies - all of whom had their curtains pulled most of the time. I can see how people might like to have a break from baby, but it just didn't feel right for me, I kept thinking they'd lose him or something! But, overall, a good experience. When are you in? My ELCS is on 20th February.

GemGem34 Fri 07-Feb-14 12:38:51

I was younger with my first so acted like a 'drama queen'! Those actual words were put in my book!!!! I'm not booked in, I'm 32 weeks so go back at 36 to book one. I had an appointment with my consultant this week, and was preparing for a bit of a fight about wanting a section, but no, she said straight away she was happy for a repeat and to book it in! Even dh was surprised! Good luck for you section, you will have to keep us informed how it went smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now