Talk

Advanced search

Lochia question

(7 Posts)
babsie007 Tue 04-Feb-14 17:35:01

Hi all - I'm 8 days pp and I still have bright red lochia. Is this normal?

I did find that the flow had started to reduce but when I'm physically active (doing jobs around the house, walking etc.), it tends to get heavier and I become sensitive to how I felt immediately after the birth.

My clitoris also feels very sensitive when sitting down, and when I'm stood up or walking about, I feel like everything is going to fall out at times!!!

babsie007 Tue 04-Feb-14 17:35:37

I should add that I had a small 1degree tear but no stitches

GingerMaman Tue 04-Feb-14 17:36:48

To me it sounds completely normal. You've got to give it around a month for bleeding to stop and a couple of months for downstairs to feel normal again.

Clargo55 Tue 04-Feb-14 17:42:25

It usually last between 4-6weeks according to Wiki.

BigfootFiles Tue 04-Feb-14 17:46:36

Re feeling like things are going to fall out, did you get a leaflet/information about exercises you should be doing?

BigfootFiles Tue 04-Feb-14 17:51:21

Example NHS leaflet here, though I remember in our area the leaflet had 4 sorts of exercises to do: www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files%5C4895Pchildbirth.pdf

Lochia sounds normal to me. It's possible you've bruised your clitoris during the birth but do mention it to your midwife/health visitor/GP if you're at all concerned.

babsie007 Tue 04-Feb-14 21:31:01

Thanks for the link.

I did get the booklet that had the exercises on it but I haven't been doing them as religiously as I should.... I must pick up the pace with them, I know they are important to get me recovered properly.

I will mention it to my health visitor as she is the one I see next. I passed a golf ball size clot (I think it was Thursday last week?) but the midwife said not to worry unless it was accompanied by heavy bleeding., and it wasn't, but I do sometimes feel that my bleed tapers off and then gets heavier again. I can actually feel it running out (tmi, sorry).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now