Talk

Advanced search

What to wear in labour?

(25 Posts)
pickle76uk Tue 04-Feb-14 17:00:41

I know this topic has appeared a few times but I can't seem to find anything recent. Other recommendations have said to wear nightdresses during and after labour, but I can't find any!! Can anyone suggest where I can some buy them from? I have found a pack of two at Mothercare but they are light in colour and think I should avoid these for obvious reasons!! Thanks in advance :-)

MyNameIsKenAdams Tue 04-Feb-14 17:02:26

I wore a giant old tshirt and really baggy pj bottoms while labouring, theb when I needed to be confibed to the bed just took off the pj bottoms and put a sheet over.

Ended up needing prepping for csec (didnt have in the ebd) so ended up in a gown.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 04-Feb-14 17:04:29

Wear nothing. You will probably poo in the mid wife's face anyway.
Could this be your first child?
Don't worry about it.
Focus on looking ok for the first photographs.
Congratulations.

Iwillorderthefood Tue 04-Feb-14 17:04:40

Primary night shirt first time, then take a couple of extras for after. Second time took similar but ended up wearing nothing.

Iwillorderthefood Tue 04-Feb-14 17:05:10

Primark not primary

purplemurple1 Tue 04-Feb-14 17:14:01

I wore old baggy pjs and took the trousers off and put a gown on when it was getting close and the midwife needed regular access.

And some cheap long vests and old jogging trousers for after so I had access for bf but was 'dressed' so I could go down to the cafe.

Really not worth buying something new imo.

whereisthewitch Tue 04-Feb-14 17:18:08

Go to primark and get a black nighty. ..they have ones that button down the front which was perfect for skin to skin...I still have my labour nightdress from 2 years ago and hope to use it again in 4months when this one is born! I didn't need to chuck it, it was pulled up away from the blood etc and my mum washed it for me smile

BabsAndTheRu Tue 04-Feb-14 17:21:42

For the last two DCS I wore t-shirt, knickers and my cosy knee high socks, paced around the room with not a care in the world, I looked gorgeous I did, well the hormones made me think that anyway.

GwennieF Tue 04-Feb-14 17:24:23

I wore an old nighty for ds (induction and then EMCS). With dd I went into labour naturally and just wore what Iwas wearing that day - shedding first everything below the waist, followed soon after by everything above the waist. It all just felt too constrictive and uncomfortable.

vixsatis Tue 04-Feb-14 17:25:06

Chanel No. 5

Melonbreath Tue 04-Feb-14 17:31:59

Vixsatis you total Monroe!

Button fronted stretchy nightie from primark.

snickers251 Tue 04-Feb-14 17:42:41

Agree primark nighties a few sizes up

Oh and dark colours grin

Nevercan Tue 04-Feb-14 18:00:02

I just wore a hospital gown.

ch1134 Wed 05-Feb-14 12:01:24

I wore a pair of tracksuit bottoms and a vest - what I went in wearing. Had 3 nighties in my bag but never got around to putting them on. Tracksuit bottoms came off pretty quickly and never gave it another thought.
Worth packing the extra nighties though as everything got covered in blood afterwards and was good to have spares

homeaway Wed 05-Feb-14 14:30:53

I second getting some loose clothes for afterwards as by the time they were born i did not want to go near my maternity stuff.
For the birth whatever you feel comfortable in but it does not have to be maternity wear, just nip to Primark and get something in there.

gelati3 Wed 05-Feb-14 14:33:25

I got a bamboo material nightie off Amazon. It buttons down the front so you can do skin to skin and breastfeed following the birth.

FrankelInFoal Wed 05-Feb-14 17:36:00

I've bought two cheap nighties from a local shop, bit like Primark, they were £5 each but 100% cotton. They are light in colour but at that price I'm not bothered if they have to go in the bin!

Eletheomel Wed 05-Feb-14 19:27:49

I'd bought old t-shirts for the labour, but to be honest as soon as I was taken down to the labour suite the hospital offered me one of their racy, tie up the back, smocks - so I went for that on both occassions (after the birth the 'smocks' were thrown asunder and I had skin to skin) no point getting your own gear all bloody and manky, when you can use theirs and then put your own (clean) nighties etc on afterwards.

ilovevenice Thu 06-Feb-14 00:00:44

I wore t-shirts for DS1 and 3 but a top and denim skirt for DS2 who arrived in a hurry grin <did manage to get knickers off though>

JBurge Thu 06-Feb-14 02:41:04

Hi

As others have said, when push comes to shove (do you like what I did there?) you really won't care by the end! I gave birth to dc2 on Tuesday and was as naked as she was! I'm not usually a very liberal person when it comes to nudity either.

But to start off the proceedings, just buy a large men's t-shirt from tesco and lots of large (cheap) knickers,

Good luck xx

Frizz1986 Thu 06-Feb-14 17:27:22

I stripped off as soon as i got into the birthing room and they confirmed that i was in active labour. I couldn't bare the thought of anything touching my skin (even my husband!)
I am normally rather shy but in labour you might not care. If you do take something then def primark for something loose. You'll bin it all anyway if its cheap so it doesnt matter what it is as long as its comfortable and easy access.

ChilliQueen Thu 06-Feb-14 17:38:13

Dark pink size 22 (big and baggy) M&S t-shirt style night shirt. You really won't care!

Dogsmom Thu 06-Feb-14 22:57:31

I bought two cheap nighties from Matalan, both light coloured and didn't get any blood on them despite having an episiotomy and forceps delivery.
I still use them 11 months on and always think of having my daughter when I wear them.

traininthedistance Thu 06-Feb-14 23:15:08

Nothing! You seriously won't care what you're wearing and lots of people just take everything off! smile good luck!

Izzyalex Sat 08-Feb-14 17:46:36

Lol I've been pondering this one too, good to know others thinking the same although tbh like traininthedistance above I don't think anyone cares!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now