Talk

Advanced search

What do we need?

(9 Posts)
Garnett Tue 04-Feb-14 14:33:21

Apologies. I KNOW this must be somewhere on the site already, but I can't find it. Pointers to other resources would great.

I'm after a list of what to put in the hospital bag, and what we should have in the house when we get back. A John Lewis Baby Brochure had a long list of stuff but I wasn't sure if they weren't just trying to flog us stuff.

LJBanana Tue 04-Feb-14 14:39:25

Hi, I would say some big black knickers-quite a few pairs, breast pads and maternity pads, nappies and clothes for baby and vests and clothes for you-comfy ones though, pj's leggings track suit type bottoms, phone charger, some nice shower gel and moisturiser, flip flops for the shared facilities if this is relevant, bit of make up to feel a bit more human should you want too, a carrier bag for our washing- for others to take and do for you. Couple of snacks or just ask people to bring you some if your in overnight etc. You will end up arriving with one bag and leaving with 5...an a baby!

LJBanana Tue 04-Feb-14 14:40:06

CAMERA

spanky2 Tue 04-Feb-14 14:44:19

Get smooth topped sanitary towels . The ends of the stitches would get stuck in the tiny holes in always ultra . Music to listen to. . Packed lunch for after , just incase they don't have food . Energy drinks (sports not red bull ) with a sports cap. Really helped to give me a boost to get that baby out!

ch1134 Wed 05-Feb-14 12:06:18

FOR YOU
3 x nighties (mine kept getting covered in blood)
lots of maternity pads
lots of black pants
2 x dark coloured tracksuit or pyjama bottoms
comfy vest/ t-shirts
cardy
slippers
snacks
shampoo and conditioner, comb, moisturiser
phone/ camera + charger
travel pillow to sit on in the car home

FOR BABY
5 x vests
3 x sleepsuits
a pack of newborn nappies
3 x muslin squares
cotton wool for changing nappy
hat (maybe a couple as sizes vary a lot)
blanket
carseat

ch1134 Wed 05-Feb-14 12:08:36

oh, and I had a sports bottle of water - found it really useful as you don't have to keep filling up a glass and gas and air makes you very thirsty!

Also, CDs/ MP3 player

ch1134 Wed 05-Feb-14 12:15:01

To have in the house:

Lots of vests (10)
lots of sleepsuits (8)
hats
lots of muslin squares (10)
nappies
lots of cotton wool - pleats are better than balls
olive oil (for baby's skin)
lamp with low watt bulb for night feeds

lavendar oil (for your bath - helps with healing)
Lots of maternity pads and sanitary towels
lots of paracetemol and ibuprofen
breast pads
calendula cream is safe for you and baby and is good for sore skin on baby, soothing your stitches and sore nipples

Moses basket
moses basket sheets OR pillow cases work just as well (5)
5 x blankets
pram

big stock of tea/ coffee/ biscuits for visitors!
lots of washing powder!
a spare airer for drying clothes

Garnett Wed 05-Feb-14 14:00:14

Wow. Thanks a lot everyone. That's really kind. So many things we hadn't thought of!

thereisnoeleventeen Thu 06-Feb-14 15:52:03

Cotton wool or ear plugs as it can get noisy on the ward and the odds are that your baby will want to have a lovely long sleep when everyone else is awake and the curtains are open, and an eye mask is also handy.

Flip flops for the shower.

Snacks for when your baby is awake in the middle of the night feeding and you are hungry, same for bottles of water, if you run out then it's good to have your own with you so you don't have to ask for some and have to wait.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now