Talk

Advanced search

Difference between BH and contractions

(6 Posts)
Mummytobe2014 Tue 04-Feb-14 11:34:27

Hi ladies this is probably a silly question but wld i know thw difference?
Im 35 weeks and havent had any BH but i know i cld still get them at some point.
Im going to use a tens machine but unsure when is best to start using it especially if really what i cld be feeling is BH, does that make sense!?

Will i know for sure i am having real contractions so therefore know its time to use the tens?

Thank you x

TheUnstoppableWindmill Tue 04-Feb-14 11:41:49

BH usually don't hurt. I had loads for weeks but it just felt like my abdomen tensing up and going rock hard- no pain. I did think my early contractions were BH, but it also felt like I had a bit of period pain too, but nothing bad. Once the proper contractions got going I knew for sure that I was in labour- it hurt!
Everyone is different, but if you're worrying about tens machine I'd just go with the principle that you should start using it when it starts to really hurt.
Good luck!

Clr2014 Tue 04-Feb-14 11:42:55

Contractions will make you stand up and stop what you're doing until the pain passes.

Mummytobe2014 Tue 04-Feb-14 11:46:05

Thanks its hard to gauge esp since i havent had any yetand may not. I have read on prev posts that when labour starts u will just know but being a first timer its hard to imagine and you question everything lol.

AFergie Tue 04-Feb-14 13:33:44

For me, BH made the whole of uterus go hard, and was not painful although sometimes a little uncomfortable as your uterus is quite big at the end.

A contraction was more local, low in my tummy and also a bit on my back and felt more like pain. Even when it was the beginning and they were totally manageable, it was pain and not discomfort.

Good luck !!

Mummytobe2014 Tue 04-Feb-14 15:05:08

Thanks Afergie smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now