Stretch and sweep

(7 Posts)
Pinkbell123 Mon 03-Feb-14 16:55:51

Hello.

Just had a sweep - does anyone know if these are good or bad:

1cm dilated
1-2cm cervical length
Bulging membranes.

Also, a fair amount of bloody discharge came out when the consultant did the sweep and I've had some 'old' brown bloody discharge since then. Have period pains but I expected I would.

I'm only 38+3 but being induced around my due date for medical reasons if the baby doesn't get a move on!

If anyone has any advice that'd be great, it's my first so don't really have a clue.

MurtleTheTurtle Mon 03-Feb-14 19:49:34

My cervix was similar when I had a sweep at 40+5 10 days ago, I went into labour about 12 hours later (in the middle of the night). My babies are usually later than this (this was dc4!). Sweeps with the others seemed to do very little though.

LGandPandnow3 Mon 03-Feb-14 19:58:14

Hi Pinkbell
Did you get given a 'bishop's score?' Look in your notes - this will give you it I'm sure. It basically checks how 'soft' your cervic is, length etc. the higher the score - the more 'favourable' I think. Have googled and found this link:

http://www.babymed.com/labor-delivery/bishop-score-assessing-success-of-induction

It's my due date today and I've just had my second sweep... Waiting to see if it has worked. Half of them do apparently..

Pinkbell123 Mon 03-Feb-14 20:02:57

No no bishops score in my notes. Is the bleeding likely to be a bit of damage to the cervix from the sweep rather than anything showy?

No real pains now so will just have to wait and see. I'm still a bit early though I guess.

Thanks smile

babynelly2010 Tue 04-Feb-14 20:20:59

I had my sweep at 40 weeks and was 2 cm somewhat favorable but not as much. Had bloody discharge right after, plug came out baby born 36 hours later. You are still early so I am not sure but sweeps do work.

RugbyWidow7 Tue 04-Feb-14 20:50:28

I had a sweep at 40+5, 11.20am and went into labour at 5.30am the following morning. smile 2.5 yrs ago now.

Pinkbell123 Wed 05-Feb-14 11:02:13

Thanks ladies. I think I just lost my plug/ had a show (not sure of the difference). It was brown coloured. Not in any pain though. Scared!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now