Questions to ask MW about planning home birth for DC2 ?(5 Posts)
I'm keen to have a home birth for DC2 after a pretty straightforward birth with DS1. The community midwife is popping over to chat it through on Friday and I wondered what key questions I should be asking? I would like to get a pool to use as this is one of my reasons for considering a home birth as our hospital only has one pool and is currently refurbishing the whole maternity unit in stages so I have no idea if it will be available when my time comes! Plus I'm sure my labour slowed down when I transferred into hospital last time as I was quite nervous about going in and worried I would be sent home so think it will be much more relaxed at home!
So...ladies who've been there before...what are the key things to ask/consider about a home birth? Thanks in advance!
I had a homebirth with an independent midwife in September last year. For me I felt that it was a way to ensure/guarantee I could have the birth I wanted after speaking to the NHS homebirth team in my area.
sorry for the essay - but hopefully useful...
My questions were really focused on the logistics and stats/decision process that might lead to transfer me into hospital... (which I didn't really want if at all possible)
- How many midwives are on the homebirth team & how many are on shift/call at any one time?
- How many people are already under their care and due a similar time to me?
- How many midwives come to you, normally 1 comes and a 2nd comes for the final stages and birth
...leading on to - what if others are already in labour when I go into labour - do I have to go to hospital or would someone else come out to me?
other things to ask -
- What might cause them to decide I cannot continue my birth at home - i.e. Waters having broken more that 48hrs before, meconium in the waters, bleeding, high blood pressure, baby's heart rate etc etc...
... and how would I transfer - ambulance or DH taking me by car etc
- what pain management is available at home?
- Do they do the Vit K injection for the baby at home?
- Third stage - do they offer the option of medical mgmt / natural or insist on one over the other because of perceived risk factors?
- Aftercare - what if I need stitches, do they do this or would I need to transfer in to hospital
- How long do they stay at home with me to check all is well and do they come back to check on me later in the day/next day?
- When does the doctor do the initial baby checks, are they at home and who does it?
- clearing up afterwards... pretty sure they'll do most of it, but they won't clean up a birthing pool for you - so you'll need to make sure you get a liner and possibly consider locations so that you can use a pump to pump it straight out into an outside drain (DH will have to do this, so check he's willing!)
can't think of anything else obvious, but will add if I remember!
ps I think there are homebirth threads on here somewhere, I'm sure I joined one at the time!
Are you absolutely 100% certain that my baby isn't breech?!!! I wish I'd asked my midwife this before having a home birth with dd3. Otherwise I reckon Poppyseed has covered pretty much everything. Hope it all goes well for you!
Ouch snowdrop, not good! Hope it went ok in the end?
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.