Talk

Advanced search

GBS+ want to give birth at midwifery led unit

(7 Posts)
LSP1985 Thu 30-Jan-14 20:55:00

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or knowledge on this topic.

I am GBS+ and was told I would have to give birth on the delivery suite at Watford due to the necessity of IV antibiotics in labour.
I was upset with this as I wanted another water birth as with DS1 at the ABC (midwifery led unit and watford).

I spoke to my midwife today and she said that it is still possible to have baby on the ABC with water birth but I would need to get the first dose of AB on delivery suite to check that I do not have any adverse reaction to them. Then after 1 hour could be moved to the ABC and given next dose there and they would tape up my hand so i could go in the pool to deliver.

Obviously I was very happy with this information but I have just checked the criteria on their website and they say they do not allow women who have GBS to give birth at the ABC?!!

So confused, I want to know what is gonna happen when i get to hospital!!! I keep getting different information!

Has anyone been through something similar or know where I can get a definite decision?

Thanks

Lucy

Mummymidwife87 Thu 30-Jan-14 21:03:24

Speak to your supervisor of midwives. You should be able to get their contact details from your community midwife

LSP1985 Fri 31-Jan-14 17:13:51

Thank you! I contacted them and they confirmed that I can have my baby on the ABC (all being well and I don't react to anti biotics).

Quodlibet Sun 02-Feb-14 20:01:11

It may depend on your hospital, but at mine I was allowed in the pool on the midwife unit with my AB cannula in for GBS.

globetrotter141 Sat 08-Feb-14 08:55:24

I was in the birth centre, in pool, with canula for antib, so there is no reason why you cant have a water birth. Also didnt have to wait on delivery suite to see if i had adverse reaction. If other hospitals have no problem with it dont see why watford should.

juniper44 Mon 10-Feb-14 01:26:13

I had GBS. I will never even contemplate having a baby anywhere other than a delivery suite. Why risk it?! Put your baby first.

LSP1985 Mon 10-Feb-14 07:28:44

Hi juniper44.
At watford hospital the midwifery led unit is on the floor directly below the delivery suite so if there are any complications it is just a lift ride away.
I just personally would like another water birth as I found it great pain relief and that is not an option not the delivery suite. I don't see how I would putting my baby at risk? I would still be receiving the antibiotics in labour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now