Talk

Advanced search

VBAC with induction?

(10 Posts)
GingerLemonTea Thu 30-Jan-14 19:11:51

First baby was born by EMCS on the 3rd day of induction.
This time my options are
ELCS at 39 weeks. Or
Wait & see, aim for VBAC, but we could induce you again if you go 12 days over.
I thought they wouldn't induce you following a CS?
Any thoughts/ experience of this?

AJH2007 Fri 31-Jan-14 00:01:13

My consultant said this week they won't induce me as I had a CS with first baby. Will try for VBAC if I go into labour before due date, but if not then ELCS is booked. I don't think they like inducing you if you've had a CS already as it puts pressure on the scar. I'd go back and ask more questions in your situation.

bsmirched Fri 31-Jan-14 00:08:01

There is a greater risk of scar rupture if you're induced so they would tend to limit the amount of gel they'd give (if any) and go for ARM and the drip.

Teatimecakes Fri 31-Jan-14 06:06:16

There are guideline on this in the NICE documents

ThisIsYourSong Fri 31-Jan-14 06:24:07

My hospital said there was no way they would do any kind of induction. The most they did was break the waters when I was 5cm dilated. My midwife did say otherwise, but she was wrong! I went into labour after a sweep (but labour had actually already started) 10 days overdue.

Teatimecakes Fri 31-Jan-14 17:39:14

A friend of mins has had 2 induced vbacs. Both using a low dose drip so it can be done. Everything went smoothly both times but I was clearly explained to her the the risks were increased - she was monitored like mad! But for her, it was much better that a repeat c section

Panzee Fri 31-Jan-14 17:41:01

They would have done the drip/ARM for me but not the pessary. As I was nowhere near ready for ARM we went for repeat CS.

GingerLemonTea Fri 31-Jan-14 19:40:44

Have already seen the consultant, he said they could induce. I queried it due to stuff I had already read, but he said it could be done.

Dont have to decide yet, but it's not the way I thought it would go.

sdaisy26 Sat 01-Feb-14 09:36:29

My hosp will induce for vbac but v cautiously and with a low tolerance for going to cs. Personally I've decided that if it comes to it I will go for elcs rather than induction as I feel the increased risk of rupture is too great & can see it ending in section anyway. Will go to at least term +12 though before I will consider myself overdue.

oscarwilde Thu 06-Feb-14 10:55:04

In discussions with consultants when I was trying to choose between ELCS and VBAC, I was told that they would use a drip but not a pessary as they can't control the speed of labour with a pessary, and therefore there is a greater risk of rupture.
Personally, I said that I wasn't going to agree to be induced and we would go straight to a CS in that event.

In the end I decided on an ELCS but baby had other plans and I had a VBAC..... shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now