Talk

Advanced search

Episiotomy healing

(23 Posts)
rach6122 Tue 28-Jan-14 13:47:01

Hi all just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to heal nice abd quickly. I'm holding the shower to my vagina three time a day, changing my pad lots. Is this ok? Should I try and lay down lots or be active? Is a bath ok! Thanks

AFergie Tue 28-Jan-14 14:44:40

baths are better i think. and add 2 or 3 drops of tea tree oil in it but nothing else (like soap). make sure its nice and dry before you put pad/ underwear back on.

good luck !!

jazzyjenbo Tue 28-Jan-14 17:58:04

I found keeping the area as clean as possible the answer.. Instead of using toilet paper i used kleenex toiler wipes. Seemed to clean the area better and was a softer option on my stitches.
Baths are fantastic.
Sit on a cushion to pad out the area (i found a pillow from my bed the comfiest.
U'll b surprised how fast the area heals x

cravingcake Tue 28-Jan-14 19:49:37

Pat dry or better let the area get some air. Very unlady-like but laying down on a towel on the bed with legs up for a good 10 mins will help, or a hairdryer on low setting.

Rest is good generally but listen to your body, if it starts to ache or throb then slow down and rest.

LavenderFox Wed 29-Jan-14 20:49:42

Lavender oil in bath water or warm rinse is a natural soother and antiseptic and more gentle on skin than tea tree oil. Also do lots of pelvic floor exercises because they increase blood flow to the area (and you can't burst your stitches no matter how many you do). Ibuprofen is a safe painkiller for breastfeeding mums and best to help if you are swollen, if you have no swelling then paracetamol is better because it doesn't cross into milk much at all. It is better than you take pain relief and keep up normal activity, than lie down for your over-all recovery.

After all is completely healed you can try wheatgerm or almond oil to massage any scarring if you get any. Plenty of lube (and a large glass of wine) when you have sex for the first time.....

rach6122 Mon 03-Feb-14 19:08:16

Thanks for all the advice. Does anyone know how long you are supposed to keep up the constant bathing/showering?

ateddybearfromdelaware1 Tue 04-Feb-14 08:30:52

I had a shallow bath with salt and a few drops of tea tree oil. Did that for about 3 weeks. Didn't soak or stay in the bath long.

I would then air the area, so sit on the bed leg akimbo smile

Agree with pat dry with a clean muslin or tissue

ch1134 Tue 04-Feb-14 11:15:59

bathe twice a day with lavendar oil in the bath

spritesoright Tue 04-Feb-14 17:24:58

My midwife suggested pouring saltwater over the wound after urinating in order to avoid infection. It bloody hurt but it seemed to do the trick.

BraveLilBear Wed 05-Feb-14 16:52:56

You'd think, after such a physically traumatic experience (in that any birth is traumatic to the body), they'd give this sort of advice afterwards.

I was told to do pelvic floor exercises, and put some special perineal oil on the maternity pads. I assumed that baths would be the worst thing to do, coming 7 months after peri-anal surgery (I have scars on both sides now!) where I was expressly told not to bath.

Frankly 'keep it clean and dry' is far too vague.

Good luck with your healing OP!

BetterWithCheese Wed 05-Feb-14 17:04:09

I agree Brave I was given very little advice after my first episiotomy which got infected after 3 days and opened which was an awful experience. When I saw the consultant gynae after she advised no baths but rinsing with shower head multiple times a day and as others have advised exposing to air as much as possible. I followed this advice this time and it healed quickly. Also did pelvic floor exercises and used hairdryer on cool setting to dry after showering.

ateddybearfromdelaware1 Wed 05-Feb-14 17:12:51

I think when they say don't have baths, they mean don't soak for ages in the bath because of stitches.

I used to sit in a shallow bath for 5-10mins a day with salt and tea tree oil and mine has healed very well after a year

tobiasfunke Wed 05-Feb-14 17:17:12

Salty water - best thing ever for healing and keeping infection at bay. I ended up taking a bowl of it to the loo and give it a splash when I had a pee. A slighty salty warm bath feels great when it hurts.

BraveLilBear Wed 05-Feb-14 17:19:01

I think I took solace from the fact that there was no way I would have had time for one let alone two plus baths a day!

A shower-head cheat shower day was a luxury smile

OrangeBlossom2 Mon 10-Feb-14 18:15:05

In hospital I was told shower every day. It was good to have 5 minutes to myself each day 'on drs orders' otherwise I wouldn't have made time. One of my postnatal midwives said no baths until it's healed though.
Gynaecologist suggested aqueous cream to soften the scar once healed (This was a few months afterwards though). Be aware it can hurt for a long time afterwards and that is normal and not because you've done anything wrong at this stage. I was not prepared for that.

Slongette Mon 10-Feb-14 20:10:18

When I needed to wee I used to do it in the bath with the shower head giving me a bit of a dousing at the same time - took the sting off.. Then patted dry with a clean flannel.

Would also shower daily and then air dry legs a kimbo on the bed - healed enough after about 8/10 days to scale this back to just the shower clean daily.

No one tells you about this when you have a baby - dignity out the bloody window!

rach6122 Thu 20-Feb-14 19:35:30

Now 4 weeks postpartum and no infection but showering today I touched down there and it was painful. Me and she had a look and looks like there is still a gaping bit right at the hole. Has anyone else had this happen? Why is it not coming together?!

FloppyPoppyCocky Thu 20-Feb-14 19:53:28

I think they leave a little gap at the end of the stitches so there is some give when you move about <might have made that up>.

I found completely ignoring it worked best for me. Just normal shower every day and that's it. I find that with most things to do with anything wrong with me. Just let my body get on with sorting itself out!

rach6122 Thu 20-Feb-14 19:59:44

Ah I hope you are right! How long was it until it had closed up or until you frlt normal?

Yonineedaminute Thu 20-Feb-14 20:00:43

I had a saltwater bath every day, just really shallow And
Lukewarm and just stayed in there for a couple of minutes. Also have no idea if they did anything but I took these homeopathic arnica pill thingies as well.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how quickly I healed!

FloppyPoppyCocky Thu 20-Feb-14 20:18:29

I honestly can't remember how long it took to heal but it was fine by 6 week check IIRC. I had a scratchy stitch that annoyed me for a few days but that's it.

16 months later and I can't tell any difference from before. All fine and dandy!

rach6122 Thu 20-Feb-14 23:06:38

Really hope mine is actually healing! 6 week check in two weeks, fingers crossed all is ok

LisaAYarrow Thu 20-Feb-14 23:09:40

Salt water baths every night and arnica cream on the awful black bruising around the stitches worked quickly for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now