Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

What is.......

(18 Posts)
Gillian98 Thu 19-Feb-04 16:13:10

a sweep and how is it done? This is my second child but had elective c-section on first, and didn't go to any antenatel classes so ignorance was bliss at the time but this time round I feel I know nothing. I have asked hospital if I can attend all antenatel classes but they won't let me as this is my second and they say all I need is a refresher course.

CountessDracula Thu 19-Feb-04 16:15:16

A sweep is where they stick their fingers up into your cervix and wiggle them around! Not terribly comfortable I seem to remember but not agony either.

Northerner Thu 19-Feb-04 16:19:20

Like the techincal description CD!

pie Thu 19-Feb-04 16:42:32

Can I hijack? Is a sweep the same as the stripping of membranes?

twiglett Thu 19-Feb-04 16:45:23

message withdrawn

bundle Thu 19-Feb-04 16:47:35

it's VERY uncomfortable. I had one both times and ended up with c/s both times as it did sod all to speed things up..

bundle Thu 19-Feb-04 16:47:57

(if you have one take a pad along as you can bleed a bit afterwards)

pie Thu 19-Feb-04 16:54:25

I had one with DD2 and asked the dr to tell me before he did it to which he replied 'I've done it' it didn't hurt me at all. went into labour next night.

lydialemon Thu 19-Feb-04 19:35:48

Had them with all 3, only worked with DD, but I found it about as uncomfortable as a smear (so OK really for me)

IME better to have a sweep and go into natural labour (DD) than go through induction with drips and drugs (DS2)

Are they asking you if you want one, or is this just for future reference?

Linnet Thu 19-Feb-04 21:43:01

Like Countess said it's when they wiggle the membrane around and it's supposed to help start things off.

I've heard that it's worked wonders for other people. Didn't work for me though and I won't be letting them near me if I go overdue this time.

Linnet Thu 19-Feb-04 21:43:44

Like Countess said it's when they wiggle the membrane around and it's supposed to help start things off.

I've heard that it's worked wonders for other people. Didn't work for me though and I won't be letting them near me if I go overdue this time.

Linnet Thu 19-Feb-04 21:44:04

oops sorry about that.

newbymum Fri 20-Feb-04 00:39:47

I had a sweep as i was in slow labour and it brought me from 4 cm dilated to 7 cm dilated with in mins I didnt feel a thing and was soooo greatful that they had done it!!!

CountessDracula Sat 21-Feb-04 23:52:30

Didn't work for me

pupuce Sun 22-Feb-04 11:17:57

Sweeps work in 50% of cases of women with previous labours and that stat drops for 1st timer (according to Miles Textbook for Midwives)

At the end of the day it is an induction and even if NOT painful when done it can get you going quickly and immediately strongly (so it becomes hard to manage).... I always say to women to think about it before they embark on it... some do and some don't ! Some thought ot was great and others won't do it again...

pie Sun 22-Feb-04 11:21:49

But but but, is a sweep the same thing as stripping the membranes?

Bond33 Sun 22-Feb-04 19:43:07

Never been through this myself but thought these might be useful
Try this this or this

Linnet Sun 22-Feb-04 22:59:48

I think it is the same thing Pie although I may be corrected if I'm wrong.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: