Advanced search

induction stories, please share.

(23 Posts)
fanjodisfunction Thu 03-Oct-13 11:15:11

I'm being induced next week, this is due to my DD1 being stillborn and also that I have GD. Last week baby was breech and they were talking about C-section, but baby has turned and induction it is.

I went into spontaneous labour with DD1, I didn't know she had died already, I have fibroids and during her pg they had grown a lot and restricted what I could feel. But this pg is different I feel a lot of movement and fibroids have not grown this time. DD1's labour was fast and textbook even though she wasn't alive.

I'm freaking out a bit about being induced and was hoping that some induction experiences from you ladies might help me come more to terms with the birth and labour of DC2.

rallytog1 Thu 03-Oct-13 12:56:28

I'm so sorry to hear about your DD.

I was induced with my DD. The really good thing about induction is that while it all feels quite medicalised, your baby is constantly monitored, and they are really stringent about checking for accelerations and decelerations of the heartbeat. I felt very reassured throughout that I knew the baby was ok because I could always hear her heartbeat.

They start with a pessary or gel. That was enough to get things going for me, and my waters went after about 6 hours. After this the contractions were very painful so they gave me an epidural very quickly and with no arguments (I had a mobile one so could still move around and feel the contractions - I highly recommend that).

They let me labour naturally for another 16 hours or so (again, with continuous monitoring of baby). When I'd been at 5cm for about 3 hours they gave me the option of the syntocinon drip. I opted for this as I was fairly fed up by this stage. The contractions felt more intense but the epidural meant they didn't really hurt.

I got to 10cm and started pushing. At that point it transpired that DD had turned her head to the left and was stuck. At that point she was not in any distress, which they assessed by monitoring her heart rate and taking a sample of blood from her head to check its oxygenation. They decided to do an emcs while she was still not distressed, and she was born 45 minutes later. The emcs itself was very calm, the baby was again monitored throughout and I never once felt that there was anything to worry about. My understanding is that it's now standard to go to emcs if it's obvious there are going to be problems but the baby is still happy enough - rather than risk a crash section if the baby gets distressed.

I think with your history you'll find the hospital is very thorough about monitoring your baby and keeping you reassured about its wellbeing. It may also be a good idea at the early stages of the induction to talk to your midwife or doctor about it all, so they can be aware of the need to keep you informed and reassured.

I do have to fess up that there were some complications with me after DD was delivered - but this was down to the actions of one surgeon rather than any problem with DD or me, and I'd much prefer me to have had problems than my DD. But again, the sort out of that was very calm.

Good luck - will be thinking of you. Do come back and let us know how it goes.

fanjodisfunction Thu 03-Oct-13 14:56:27

rally thank you for sharing, it does sound like you had a very calm experience even though it ended in EMCS.

alteredimages Thu 03-Oct-13 15:31:26

I'm so sorry to hear that your DD died fanjodisfunction.

My induction story happened outide the UK where medical care isn't nearly as good or controlled, so it isn't very indicative of UK practice, but it was a lovely and relaxed birth, so I thought you migt like to hear it.

My induction was planned, so I went in at 12 noon having been told to fast from the previous evening, which to be honest I totally ignored, figuring I'd need the strength for labour.

First they listened to DDs heartbeat with a doppler, then hooked me up to a drip. I'm afraid I don't know what it was, but I'm guessing oxytocin. They gave me a VE and found me already 2cm dilated.

I felt fine for the first hour or so but did feel the need to go to the toilet lots. The nurses humoured me and unhooked the drip for the first couple of times but then told me I'd just have to poo the bed.blush I guess that's why they told me to fast.

The contractions got steadily stronger and by five o'clock I felt a big change in the contractions. A junior doctor had been coming in to do VEs once an hour and I think check the HB of DD too, though not sure on this last point.

I called for the doctor when I felt this change, which I can only describe as feeling like my body was vomiting but down the way, and they took me into theatre ( which is where all births take place there), gave me an anesthetic for an episiotomy, and DD was born at about 5:30pm. They checked her over and gave her to MIL and DH while they stitched me up and we were discharged at 7:30pm.

fridayatlast Thu 03-Oct-13 15:42:53

I really feel for you, I can relate a lot to how you are feeling. I'm so sorry to hear you lost your sweet DD.

My DD1 (3rd DC) was stillborn at full-term, no reason found. It was the shock of my life, she would be 3 tomorrow sad

I have gone on to have two more babies, the youngest currently in my arms is just 9 weeks old smile

They were both induced at 37 weeks, mainly for my peace of mind. I completely freaked out at the thought of being induced and terrified myself reading stuff on the web.

Both times were very different but both completely fine. The first I had a pessary, 6 hours later after mild pains they broke my waters and he shot out in under 15 minutes! Because that was a little fast and furious for me I declined the pessary next time and had ARM and then the dreaded drip I had read so many horror stories about. It was fine, took a little longer but was more gentle. I managed with just gas and air, no problem.

Rallytog is right, the CFM is very reassuring, and I found all the staff hugely sympathetic to my worries because of my history.

I think the fact that you have laboured and birthed before will help, your body knows what to do so induction is likely to work better, and faster.

Good luck for next week. And please post back and let us know how it goes. I found that holding my baby after losing a baby was the most amazing thing, the relief that all was ok. I miss my DD and she will always be a part of our family, but a new baby helped to soften the rawness of the loss.

Will be thinking of you next week x

fanjodisfunction Thu 03-Oct-13 16:11:00

Thank you so much friday and alter your stories are helping to put my mind at rest.

I'm so nervous about the whole thing, I've got to go in on tuesday and have steroid injections and then being induced on the wednesday.

Can I ask were your DP's or DH's there with you the whole time, I am scared they might send mine home.

georgettemagritte Thu 03-Oct-13 18:27:38

I'm so sorry about your lovely DD! Wishing you all the best for this coming labour and that it goes smoothly and quickly.
Induction will allow them to monitor your baby's heart rate constantly which will be reassuring - given your history you could ask for them to keep the heart rate monitor on constantly and for a midwife to be with you as much as possible. They should allow your DH to stay. I had an induction but it was started at night which is against the new NICE guidelines - I would suggest you get your community midwives to push for an induction booking early in the morning so that your DH can be sure to be there all day. It can take a while to get going but if it does it's a good idea to ask for each of the stages (pessary, gel, ARM if necessary) to be done as early in the day as possible. Having had one textbook labour may mean it goes fast for you. They were expecting mine to take a while so started it at 1am but it went very fast and it was all done by 7am! DH had gone home but they did let me call him back as soon as it looked like it was taking off.
Unmumsnetty hugs to you and all good wishes and thoughts to you and your lovely DC2 smile smile

fridayatlast Thu 03-Oct-13 18:34:56

DH was with me for both. Neither time did my labour go in to the night but I don't think they would have made him go home if that had happened.

At my hospital it is practice to 'start women off' on the ward, then once they are in established labour to move them to labour ward. Both times for me I was on labour ward from the off, I seem to remember talk of them setting a bed up/easy chair with a pillow and blanket for DH if necessary. I think they were very sensitive to my state of mind (and this is a south london hospital where care is reputed to be awful, not my experience).

Have you spoken to your midwife and/or consultant about all of these things? I know my midwife spoke to the labour ward coordinator to get me special treatment because of my previous loss.

I won't say ''don't worry" because I know that's impossible, but this time next week you will have that lovely warm little bundle in your arms and this will all be behind you xxx

rallytog1 Thu 03-Oct-13 20:02:25

My DH stayed with me the whole time. There was a point early on where they suggested he might want to go home and sleep as things weren't progressing very fast, but he didn't want to and they didn't argue. I don't imagine they'll chuck him out, particularly if you're adamant with them that you want him there.

fanjodisfunction Thu 03-Oct-13 20:11:44

Oh I'm so glad your DH's were all aloud to stay, there's no way I could be there without him. You all really are helping, thank you so much.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Thu 03-Oct-13 20:24:37

So sorry about your DD.

I was induced for both my DDs for IUGR/measuring small (although DD2 turned out bigger than they expected)

Both times they told be they'd start with a pessary and give it 24h, then possibly repeat (and possibly a 3rd time) and I might need a drip to get contractions going.

Both times when they examined me my cervix was 2cm and they were able to rupture my membranes, so I didn't need the pessary. I was monitored the whole time.

With DD1, contractions started about 30 minutes after my membranes were ruptured. After about 2 hours I felt I needed something for pain, but the monitoring wasn't working well, so the MW went to attach a scalp electrode onto the baby and discovered I was fully dilated. In the end, I needed an episiotomy and forceps because she was showing signs of distress. They gave me some local anaesthetic for the episiotomy. DD1 was born less than 3 hours after my membranes were ruptured and was bigger than they'd predicted and just over the cut off for automatic Special Care admission.

With DD2 I was induced by having my membranes ruptured and contractions started about 30 minutes later. I sat on my birthing ball reading the papers with DH and after about an hour of contractions I asked him to call the MW back to help me onto the bed as I was feeling a bit faint. When I stood up I could feel the baby coming. DD2 was born less than 2 hours after my membranes were ruptured.

DH was with me the whole time.

Try not to worry about how it will be (easier said than done!) People live to share their negative induction stories, but there are loads of us out there who had very positive experiences of induction.

Good luck!

rallytog1 Fri 04-Oct-13 12:32:05

I should add that I wasn't trying to scare you with my story - just to reassure you that however it goes, they will take great pains to ensure that your LO is well and to make sure you know that.

TarkaTheOtter Fri 04-Oct-13 13:46:25

I feel very positive about my induction.
I went into hospital in Friday morning and was on the monitor for a bit, had an internal then given pessary. Was on the monitor every few hours, then after 6hrs another internal. Was 1cm dilated but they thought it was enough to break my waters. During that whole time I wasn't "in labour" so I sent dh back to work. I then had to wait ages for a bed to be free on the delivery suite (about 48hrs in fact) but it was just boring as I wasn't in labour.
Once they had space for me my waters were broken and I was put on the syntocin drip. First 4hrs were ok, bearable. Then it got really painful so I asked for an epidural and had it immediately. I could still feel pressure but no pain and 20mins later delivered my daughter first contraction of pushing.

Aside from the boring waiting around it was great. DH was allowed to stay the whole time I was in labour but not whilst I was just waiting for a bed (at that point it was visiting hours only). But tbh it was better that he got some sleep in as I eventually laboured over night.

georgettemagritte Fri 04-Oct-13 14:56:57

Oh and please come back and update us on your lovely DC2 next week OP smile xxx

fanjodisfunction Fri 04-Oct-13 18:36:41

thank you so much everyone, I have been reading your stories and then reading them again, it has calmed me and I feel less anxious. But obviously still very anxious about it all, it doesnt seem real to me that this time next week I will probably have a little baby in my arms and maybe even be home with them.

And of course I will update you all.

Monka Fri 04-Oct-13 19:03:44

I was dreading my induction at 42 weeks (baby now 6 weeks old) but it was a positive experience overall. I went in on the Tuesday and had the pessary on the Tuesday morning and again on the Wednesday as my cervix hasn't dilated. I had contraction like pains which were uncomfortable. I would recommend getting a tens machine to cope with the pain as otherwise I had to submit to an internal exam everytime I wanted paracetamol.

They took me down to the labour suite early thurs morning and broke my waters (had an epidural only 2cm dilated) and then gave me the hormone drip. Me and my baby were constantly monitored (midwife never left the room without someone to replace her) and my baby's heartbeat started to dip. They hit the alarm button and loads of people came into the room and they asked me to consent to a csection. I never panicked as the medical staff took the right action at the right time. My hubby was with me they had given him a beanbag and sheets so he could sleep in the room with me.

They really won't take any chances with your baby's health and you will get one to one care. They were very vigilant about ensuring the baby is okay with constant monitoring throughout. And I recovered really quickly and well from my EMCS spent only one night in hospital.

TarkaTheOtter Fri 04-Oct-13 19:30:06

Yes I agree Monka, always on the monitor and always at least one midwife in the room. It did feel medicalised but it was very reassuring.

Pleasenomorepeppa Fri 04-Oct-13 19:44:38

I'm so sorry about your DD.

I was induced withDD1 (4.5), & DD2 (8.5 months), both at 42 weeks.
I only had the pessary with them both. DD1 was 4 hours established labour & DD2 was 28 mins from waters breaking. I'd had mild contractions for about 4 hours after the pessary & as soon as my waters went it was all go!!
I had an epidural with DD1 as I was convinced it would be a extra painful labour due to the induction & gas & air with DD2.
DD2 was a brilliant labour & birth & I felt so reassured by my MWs & was still a able to move around & even have a shower to help with any pains.
DD1 was a bit more stressful but still fine. DH was with me both times.

Good luck x

fanjodisfunction Thu 10-Oct-13 05:04:14

My son was born at 11.53pm last night. Was a scary time, the induction went well but he got a bit distressed towards the end and when he was born they found a true knot in his cord, that's what DD1 died of. Really feel I dodged a bullet.

Thankyou for your stories

Iheartcrunchiebars Thu 10-Oct-13 05:46:08

Congratulations fanjo, im so glad everything turned out well in the end. Enjoy a day of cuddles.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Thu 10-Oct-13 07:06:38


AloePickle Thu 10-Oct-13 07:38:01

Congratulations! I'm really glad he arrived safely

rallytog1 Thu 10-Oct-13 07:55:51

congratulations! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now