Advanced search

Elective CS - how do you decide on the date?

(30 Posts)
SandraClegane Tue 16-Jul-13 16:37:51

Hey there,

I'm 14w with DC3 and after two previous EMCS have decided to go for an elective one this time.
As I'm seeing the consultant on Thursday, here's my question: How is the date decided on? How much input do you get?
I'd like to have the CS as close to the due date as possible - my other two were late (1 week/ 10 days) so I think the chances of me going into labour beforehand are slim. I'd like to give this baby as much time as I can (clearly my babies need to bake longer than the average); and frankly I want to get the birth day as far away from Christmas as possible (due date 9 Jan).

So, what was your experience? I know they usually do it at 39w if there's no medical reason, but is there any room to negotiate?

iseenodust Tue 16-Jul-13 16:42:41

My consultant said 39 weeks for DS 1 and I said OK. I'm sure he/she will listen to your viewpoint as it is based on your experiences and you're not trying to make it earlier or fix it to fit in with other commitments.

Chubfuddler Tue 16-Jul-13 16:44:17

You don't, really. The consultant decides - but one week before dd is usual.

TheHandbagOfGlory Tue 16-Jul-13 16:47:23

You will be tied to the consultants operating days, they will have 1 or 2 set days a week when they operate.

I had an EMCS with DS and an elective with DD, done at 38 weeks, which was my consultants preferred time scale, but it's 38-39 weeks usually. I had it on a Monday because that was his theatre day. It was strange going the whole pregnancy knowing what date the baby was going to arrive though.

SandraClegane Tue 16-Jul-13 16:47:47

Chubfuddler - the consultant can't decide anything without your consent though surely??

Rufus43 Tue 16-Jul-13 16:51:39

I had two cs, I was told when I would be booked in but they were open to me changing the date by a day or so

Chubfuddler Tue 16-Jul-13 17:35:01

Well no obviously not. But equally good luck performing your own.

TripleRock Tue 16-Jul-13 17:48:00

Around 39 weeks is usual to minimise the chance of you going into natural labour before the appointment.

However I agree that you should have as much imput into this as you want or need.

It will be dependent on your history and perhaps the position of the baby towards the end of your pregnancy. Clearly they will be reluctant to risk you going into labour naturally if there's any reason why it might be risky for you or baby.

For example, I'm currently 31 weeks and have the option of vbac or elcs due to previous emcs. However this baby is currently breach anyway, so if it's not turned by 36 weeks I imagine they would strongly suggest a cs was scheduled at 39 weeks rather than say 41. But ultimately it's my choice. Notwithstanding fitting in with available appointments and dates which is the same for everyone.

Rufus43 Tue 16-Jul-13 19:14:25

Just checked cos I'm sad, one child born 8 days early ( cs originally scheduled 9 days before due date,) 2nd child born 7 days early ( cs originally scheduled 8 days before due date)

RubyrooUK Tue 16-Jul-13 19:58:54

Where I had DS2, you had no choice. They operate in the week of your due date and the surgeons only do electives on certain weekdays. So mine was done at 39+5. I was told the date but had no reason to object as my elective was being done for medical reasons so I wanted it as late as possible to benefit the baby.

(I do think however if I had given birth naturally, I would have gone over 40 weeks as my first son was born at 41 weeks and looked a bit more finished than this one!)

Meglet Tue 16-Jul-13 20:02:13

(This was 5yrs ago).

My consultant said they do them at 39 weeks as by then the baby is 'cooked' and there is only a small chance of being admitted to special care.

iclaudius Tue 16-Jul-13 20:49:26

The consultant tells you

didireallysaythat Tue 16-Jul-13 20:57:08

Read the NICE guidelines. I think its 39 +4 or 5 because statistically that's when the lungs are fully developed. Worth reading as you'll understand why they tilt the bed to the left by 10 degrees (or whatever it is) when you go into surgery.

But its worth remembering that the booking diary has to accommodate everyone and a medium sized hospital doesn't like non emergency surgery at the weekend (presumably slightly less staff).

Jollyb Tue 16-Jul-13 21:02:28

It will depend on when the Consultant's list is and when they've got space. There may be some scope to negotiate but that may mean being moved to another Consultant's list.

I'm having a C Section this Friday when I'll be 38 +6. I was initially tempted to ask for it to be delayed to the following week so I could be over 39 weeks and closer to due date. In the end have decided to stick with the date as it means that I'll have another weekend of help with DP before he goes back to work.

PseudoBadger Tue 16-Jul-13 21:07:08

My EDD 40 weeks is a Saturday. I got offered the Monday, Wednesday or Thursday the week before. I've gone for the Monday as I bet I would have got to the Monday and be thinking why the bloody hell didn't i pick the Monday grin
Also last time I was in for 7 days so hopefully less chance if being in over a weekend this way.

HystericalParoxysm Tue 16-Jul-13 21:32:53

Depends on your consultant. Mine said any date between 39 and 40 weeks was fine with him. He opened his diary and said pick your day! I chose my csection day because I liked the sound of the date!

VivClicquot Tue 16-Jul-13 21:58:07

I got to choose. My consultant basically opened his diary and asked me which date I would like - so I picked one which had very sentimental reasons for me. I was 39+3, so he was more than happy for it to happen then. Easy. smile

fuckwittery Wed 17-Jul-13 07:16:09

I was offered 39 or 40 weeks, decided not to try VBAC but would have opted for the 40 week option as my first two were 10 days and 18 days over. However 40 weeks was a saturday on bank hol weekend so I could have had 39+6, bit reluctant to let me have 40+3 but would have scheduled then if I'd insisted.
I thought about waiting til I went into early labour then asking for an EMCS but I didn't want to risk low staffing levels or a junior doctor, or having to wait for a true emergency while my labour progressed.

QTPie Wed 17-Jul-13 09:49:26

I had an ELCS and had absolutely no choice.

They like to deliver at 39w. My Consultant worked at a variety of hospitals and had a variety of commitments: Monday morning was when she could do it. So I had it on Monday morning at 39w.

monkeyblonde Wed 17-Jul-13 12:46:12

This info is really interesting. At what stage did you have the date scheduled?

TheHandbagOfGlory Wed 17-Jul-13 12:51:48

I had mine scheduled at my consultant appointment after my 20 week scan.

Chubfuddler Wed 17-Jul-13 12:56:51

At about 35 weeks.

PseudoBadger Wed 17-Jul-13 13:37:42

Mine was scheduled at my 24 week consultant appointment - I was very surprised!

Jollyb Wed 17-Jul-13 14:29:07

36 week appointment

monkeyblonde Wed 17-Jul-13 14:30:56

Sounds as though it varies by hospital/case. Don't suppose anyone is under Frimley Park Hospital?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now