Advanced search

Is there someone I can talk to about this before being pregnant?

(6 Posts)
DeathMetalMum Tue 16-Jul-13 14:46:22

I recently gave birth (well 4 months ago). During which is had some problems and had to go to theatre after dd was born to discover that I have an abnormal shaped womb, I also had a few problems after this as they though I could possibly have an infection. It was my second dc so was a slight surprise however everything was ok in the end.

I am alredy thinking of weather I would like one more dc or not currently unsure, one large thing in my mind is what would happen in regards to the birth now knowing that I have a bicornate utereus. Would I be advised a c-section or any other differences to my two previous 'normal' pregnancies and births? Is there someone who I can talk about my options to if I did get pregnant again?

VivaLeBeaver Tue 16-Jul-13 14:57:02

A bicornate uterus isn't an automatic C-section - far from it. For the majority of women ime it doesn't affect their labour and they have a vaginal birth. I think especially as you've already had 2 vaginal births then a Dr would be very unlikely to say you'd need a section.

But you can ask your GP to refer you to an obs/gynae consultant who could discuss your particular history with you and advise.

DeathMetalMum Tue 16-Jul-13 20:16:35

Thanks it was more of what the midwife said when dd was born she said she would advise a section if there was a next time (bothd dd's 8lb10+ I am v petite was also a reasoning I think). Both births had complications dd1 I had syntocin drip to speed up labour and nearlt a forceps delivery. I will look into the gp appointment.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 16-Jul-13 21:48:50

You might be petite but your body can obviously birth decent sized babies. Needing a drip is fairly common for various reasons. Instrumental deliveries aren't uncommon especially with first babies and you didn't actually need one so they're all really positive points.

lancslass83 Wed 17-Jul-13 05:27:00

Definitely ask your gp to refer you to an obstetric consultant - preferably at the hospital where you had your babies so they have access to your notes. Many hospitals have a "birth afterthoughts" service, or similar where you can talk to senior midwives about what happened and they will refer you on to others as necessary. Good luck

Teatimecakes Thu 18-Jul-13 19:57:00

I have a bicornate uterus. My midwife and dr told me that the only resin for section is that our babies are more likely that most to be breech. Mine unfortunately was breech and I had a planned section. However the surgeon was great and had a good investigate while he was in there and concluded that there was plenty of room in there for normal position next time and that it was just bad luck that ds was breech. He strongly recommended I vbac next time around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now