Advanced search

Being booked for induction

(13 Posts)
JennyC80 Mon 15-Jul-13 18:00:20

Hello. I'll be 38 weeks tomorrow and for medical reasons my consultants doesn't want me to go overdue. She wanted to perform a sweep today but said my body is just not ready yet. Will do another attempt next Monday but if cant do it again then will be booked for induction. I'm worried as the very same lady mentioned it could cause lots of complications to both mother and baby... Need some reassurance please or just an honest opinion about inductions... Thank you xxx

CalpolInMyEar Mon 15-Jul-13 18:07:20

My induction was at 39 weeks due to my son growing a bit quick and them being worried he'd be too big to deliver. I was warned it could take a long time, be very painful, involve false starts etc, so I was prepared for a long wait and for it to be horrendous.

I had a very good experience, it was very fast, very intense but very positive.

I had the pessary at 11.56am, began contracting within 20mins, was 4cm and taken to delivery for G&A at 7pm, waters went about 9, fully dilated at 11, started pushing at 11.50 and DS was born at 12.02. So twelve hours from start to finish and a 12 minute second stage!

I did have morphine which I hadn't originally wanted as it was so intense, and he came very quickly so I tore, but no worse than a friend of mine who had an intervention free labour a few weeks later.

Good luck, I hope whether it comes to induction or not you have a positive experience.

RawCoconutMacaroon Mon 15-Jul-13 19:04:26

If you feel the risks are too high, you don't have to consent to an induction, or any other medical procedure.

In retrospect, I would not have consented to either of my two inductions, as the medical concerns which prompted them meant that an induction was much, much riskier to the babies than a section.

But I was young at the time and risks not properly explained (and I did not know what to ask).

Get as much info as you can about your particular case, and make up your own mind.

louhan Mon 15-Jul-13 19:58:02

i had a induction and i had a high risk of hemoging so which ever option i choose there were many risks i had a induction and it was the BEST THING EVER! it was all very relaxed and i was monitored realy well i know that each hospital is different but i was well looked after.
just remember you has fun getting the baby in your tummy so relax and have fun getting it out too.

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 15-Jul-13 20:00:24

I was induced at 42 weeks - I was so worried and upset about it and was convinced it was going to lead to a horrible birth and a cascade of intervention, but in fact I had an almost painless water birth. So it doesn't have to be a bad thing! Good luck.

JennyC80 Tue 16-Jul-13 19:53:58

Thank u all! Xxx

Wuxiapian Tue 16-Jul-13 19:57:56

I was induced at 42 weeks. Pessary, which had no effect, waters were broken, in established labour for 3 hours max, 2nd stage lasted 2 minutes! It was a good, water birth.

Don't worry.

Teapig Tue 16-Jul-13 21:36:11

I was very worried about induction especially by drip and guess what I ended up having? Yep, induction by drip.

It was intense and I managed on gas and air as long as I could and then I had an epidural. DD arrived 4 hours after the drip started so although it was intense it was quick and overall a positive experience.
I knew that inductions could lead to more interventions but irionically I was the only one from my NCT who was induced and also the only one not to have intervention.

TarkaTheOtter Tue 16-Jul-13 21:40:06

I was induced at 38 weeks with pessary, then artificial rupture of membranes and syntocin drip. I had an epidural but delivered without intervention. I found it a "positive" experience.
If you need syntocin I would recommend an epidural. Most modern epidurals don't completely paralyse you. I could feel sensation and when to push but no pain. I could walk myself to the toilet within an hour or so of birth.

marthabear Tue 16-Jul-13 21:52:54

Induction of labour does increase the chances of birth complications, especially before the due date when it's likely that a woman's body isn't ready. However this needs to be weighed up against whatever the medical reasons for inductions are. I would not blindly accept the opinion of the consultant without some research of my own.

JennyC80 Wed 17-Jul-13 06:46:42

Thanks lady's!
marthabear, do u think I can ask for c section instead? In my case it's safer as have blood clotting condition and there's more chances of bleeding of getting amnio embolism according to my GP... Would they give me this option u think? I'm terrified. They said that staying pregnant past due date is dangerous but surely induction in my case sounds equally scary... Xxx

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 17-Jul-13 07:30:21

Jenny, yes ask for a section, ask about the risks of both and compare them, for your individual circumstances. Make sure your obs team know all the medical details about the clotting thing and the risks of different birth interventions.

Remember this very important point, you DO NOT have to consent to having an induction, it is your choice.

JennyC80 Wed 17-Jul-13 10:33:26

Thank you for the advise! Honestly it is really helpful smile
Seeing consultant again on Monday as they hoping I'll be ready for a sweep then... Will discuss my options then xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now