Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

what the heck is a flat sacrum??

(9 Posts)
morocco Fri 06-Feb-04 11:08:34

cos I've got one apparently
not very hopeful of response here but if anyone knows what it is could they enlighten me (doctors visit seems a long way off) and does it affect childbirth?
ta

Twinkie Fri 06-Feb-04 11:22:24

God I'mno help I thougt it was the 2 little lines above your mouth that run up to your nose!!

Sure mears will know.

Good luck.

Momof2 Fri 06-Feb-04 11:25:22

I just googled and found that it is the flat triangular bone at base of spine.

bluebear Fri 06-Feb-04 11:29:34

yup - it's the base of your spine.
Twinkie - you're thinkimg of philtrum

mears Fri 06-Feb-04 23:15:46

Who told you that you have one Morocco?

There are all sorts of differences that people have with various parts of their body. A flat sacrum may or may not affect delivery. Wouldn't probably be able to say in advance.

morocco Sat 07-Feb-04 15:15:49

cheers guys - oh mears the things you have to go through when giving birth in strange countries!! - here everyone has an xray in the last month to check their pelvis is Ok - anyhow, now seen doctor and mine is fine apparently for a birth but I couldn't make head or tail of this flat sacrum malarkey - only thing I found out when I looked it up was that I would have been a good centre forward footballer!!
what is it then?

mears Sat 07-Feb-04 16:19:37

Here is a picture of a sacrum
sacrum

A flat sacrum might make the baby adopt an awkward position in labour. However, we have stopped doing X rays of the pelvis because they are unreliable. I remember women getting an A-ray after breech sections but that was a number of years ago.

mears Sat 07-Feb-04 16:43:39

Had to leave for a minute there.

The sacrum is normally curved so a flat one is just that. However, what does that really mean for you?

here is an article which questions the benefit of doing an X-ray.

Funny all these different ways of doing things.

morocco Sun 08-Feb-04 11:29:45

thanks mears - funny the things you learn about your body that you never knew before. I'm going to bore everyone stiff about my flat sacrum now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: