Talk

Advanced search

birth plan for c section?

(7 Posts)
IAteTheCake Sat 22-Jun-13 21:16:45

are you meant to write one? if so what kind of thing do you include? the first time around my birth plan went out the window due to emcs. I am having a c section in Aug and suddenly wondered if I need a plan having thought there would be no need. advice please!

WeeS Sun 23-Jun-13 00:29:35

I'm jumping in on this one OP as I'm having a section on Friday & have been wondering whether I still ought to have a birth plan! This is my first baby so totally clueless!

cantreachmytoes Sun 23-Jun-13 01:38:50

Well, I think it's more cut and dry than an unscheduled or vaginal birth, but I think you can have one. Best to speak to your Dr about it, but things like if you want to do skin-to-skin, or want your partner to, if you want to do it before baby weighed, or if you want DP or your birth partner to stay with you or the baby. I think there are some options, maybe like med students being there too or not. I'm doing one because there are things I know that would bother me later if they happened (would be emergency if I had one) and so it's going to be short and sweet. I don't think you "need" to though.

BonzoDooDah Sun 23-Jun-13 01:53:00

things like:
screen lowered so you can see baby coming out (or at least shoulders . makes you feel more involved.
whether they talk you through it or not
skin to skin
music?
Breast feeding straight after?
Erm ... can't remember what else. but the screen was VERY important to me.

good luck

Beatrixpotty Sun 23-Jun-13 07:51:37

I've had 3,ELCSs and never had a birth plan,but on the morning of the section one of the team(often the consultant) will visit you on the ward and that is an opportunity to ask for what you want.The only thing I wanted last time was dissolvable sutures instead of removable so had a chat about that.Then there was a choice of music/no music during the operation.It is a dynamic process and you are given a bit of commentary,again,only if you want it.They will ask you.As soon as the baby is safely out and medically checked out they will hand them over to you or whoever is in with you for skin to skin.
Because it is an operation there is not much scope for personalising it too much but because you will be conscious you will be involved at every stage and your wishes will be met unless there is a medical reason for them not to be.

shelley72 Sun 23-Jun-13 15:10:21

I posted about this last week. Here is what i've come up with so far:

Birth Plan
Want husband to accompany me as soon as possible. I don't like hospitals, I don't want a c section and I will be scared.

Would like arms kept free (not tucked in bed) so that I can hold the baby.

Once delivered we want to find out the sex of baby for ourselves.

Unless the baby needs urgent medical assistance or I have complications I want the baby to be placed skin to skin on ME (NOT my husband) straightaway, once dried off and wrapped in towel. Skin to skin with me is very important to me due to previous birth issues. I know theatres are cold but baby will be kept warm by being on my chest, wrapped and under a blanket.

Breastfeeding to be initiated whilst still in theatre if baby wants to feed.

Vitamin K injection (not drops) to be given.

Baby to be washed and dressed by us at a later point,

Intend on going home as soon as possible.

Hopefully it doesnt sound too stroppy and it goes without saying that all the above is all dependent on baby and myself not encountering any issues during the operation.

AmandaCooper Mon 24-Jun-13 08:12:27

If you want immediate skin to skin and/or to breastfeed in recovery, ask them to make sure you are dressed for theatre in clothes that will allow access at the front.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now