Talk

Advanced search

Best TENS machine??????

(25 Posts)
sarahlou1uk Wed 31-May-06 20:07:21

I'm currently 29 weeks pregnant and want to either hire or buy a TENS machine. I used one with my first pregnancy but can't remember which one!! I know there are now several different types on the market and wondered what other mums thought of their TENS machines. Some say you only need two pads, others say 4. The one I used first time round had 4 but a separate boost button. This was ok but I felt like a computer terminal with all the wires! Going to the toilet was a bit of a pain as I had to collect all the wires so that nothing fell down! Would appreciate any recommendations that other mums may have.

Gizmo100 Wed 31-May-06 20:30:55

I thought the tens machine was a bit of a fad and wouldnt really make any difference but it was the best thing that I did. I hired the maternity tens machine from Boots. I would have bought one but they didnt have any to buy. I think I was charge £30/£35 to hire and one brand new is circa £50 and in hindisght I would have bought. It has 4 pads and varying degrees of intensity which I just stepped up as the labour got stronger. They give you a string to hold it round your neck so isnt so bad when you go to the toilet. It may strange but I got my husband to do the controls and I just said I needed it stronger. Test it out before you go into labour so you know how to use the controls.

Gizmo100

mabel1973 Wed 31-May-06 20:58:56

I was told by my midwife last time round, that the difference between a maternity tens and an ordinary one is that the maternity has 4 pads, which you do need. (I had an ordinary one at home and was hoping to use it, but she said it wouldn't work one where the pain was coming from).
Last time I hired one from supposedly the cheapest place in the country (accprding to my midwife), I wish I could tell you where it was from, but I threw away the leaflet, and now I am 26 weeks pg and thinking about it again I am kicking myself. I even posted a thread on here asking if anyone knew where it might have been from - to no avail. All I can remember is it was a health centre somewhere in Hampshire! I will google it and see if I find anything and let you know!

contentmum Wed 31-May-06 21:05:11

I hired one from Boots - didn't buy cos wasn't sure it would work but in hindsight would have also bought one. Had no problems with the machine in fact managed to get to 4cm without realising was in labour - was induced so put pains down to "prostin pains" (or something like that!).
Am 13 weeks pregnant and will definately be hiring one from Boots again. One piece of advice though is to check that they have you down to hire one a week or two before the date you are due to hire it - someone managed to lose my request but they were able to rectify it because I was slightly nuerotic and went in to check.

mabel1973 Wed 31-May-06 21:17:45

Hi

I think I found the place where I hired from last time:
Newroadclinic.co.uk

It is much cheaper than Boots and most others that hire.

sarahlou1uk Thu 01-Jun-06 18:03:03

thanks mabel, might try this one

morethan1 Fri 02-Jun-06 10:29:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sarahlou1uk Fri 02-Jun-06 15:19:33

morethan1 - if you email me sarahlou1uk at hotmail dot com, when you have finished with it I will discuss the option of buying it off you!!!

morethan1 Fri 02-Jun-06 17:47:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

trix1 Sat 22-Jul-06 21:38:06

Ive been recommended the slendertone baxolve tens machine by a friend who swore by it. Has anyone else got any experience of this one, they are selling cheaper on ebay but are still pricey - worth it if they work though.

I suppose they can always be sold on afterwards.

trix1 Sun 23-Jul-06 12:26:07

Hi, has anyone any experience of this Tens machine?

Bump

Asur Sun 23-Jul-06 14:44:04

I bought a Freedom TENS machine and it was really fab... Only 2 buttons so really easy. It only used 2 pads but they were 10 inches long so covered the same area as using 4 pads. Very easy to put on yourself which is useful too

I bought mine on ebay and it was only £15 brand new but the person I bought it from doesn't sell them anymore. Found them on here go to healthcare, pain relief, labour TENS. Only £25 and it can be used as normal TENS after the birth. It's the same price that Boots (and others) charge to rent so it's worthwhile

HTH

MaryDavies Mon 18-Jun-07 15:28:23

I have hired my Birth Tens Machine from www.tensmachinedirect.co.uk turned up 3 weeks before my due date, I paid £25 for 6 weeks hire, I saw the machine recommended on another website but these were the cheapest.
I have han no problem setting it up to use and I've tested it and it feels ok, I also bought a birthing ball to sit on luxury! good luck all you ladies!

HappyBunny10 Tue 17-Jul-07 11:15:04

Try http://TENS-hire.co.uk Only £23.95 for 6 weeks hire which starts three weeks prior to your due date and continues until three weeks after. There is also a free extension if you go over your due date.

If you are within three weeks of your due date orders received by 4pm are dispatched the same day! Availibility is guaranteed.

The service is great and the machine is very effective too!

SweetBROODY Wed 25-Mar-09 13:59:03

Would like to revive this coloumn if there is anyone with a more up to date view!

popAwheelie Sun 06-Jun-10 12:42:30

would also be interested in anyone with views on best/cheapest Tens machine and whether to buy (assuming I'll want more kids...!) or hire.
Thanks!

oopsandbabycoconut Sun 06-Jun-10 13:00:39

I hired an Elle Tens from here and got 4 extra pads too it cost £32 but I only hired it 5 days before I was due so that includes special delivery postage too. It iincluded free returns postage and envelope. I have to say I HATED it, it only irritated the hell out of me and I threatened to flush it at one point if it didn't start working.

imkeepingmum Sun 06-Jun-10 18:00:49

Haven't had baby yet (37+1) but have hired TENS machine from midwife for £10 which appears significantly cheaper than some of the other options on this thread - worth asking the midwife if they can be hired.

momfirsttime Sun 12-Sep-10 22:19:19

when is the best time to hire tens machine? which week?

bubbahubba Sun 12-Sep-10 23:58:25

elle tens is the best IMO

donnakebabnew Wed 23-Mar-11 09:33:49

Hi I used a company called www.babytens.net and they were great, the Tens was fab for my very long labour and I pretty much got right to the end on the tens alone. They seemed to be the cheapest around to and came with a booster button.

HTH

angela123123 Sun 05-Feb-12 09:35:12

I would also avoid maternitytens.com they don't reply to emails generally bad customer service.

mumsrthebest Sun 05-Feb-12 14:15:11

http://www.tens.co.uk/acatalog/Elle_TeNS_Hire_Option_.html

I used the above TENS machine. Haven't had the pleasure of using it yet but its a good price. x

HannahBerry Mon 06-Feb-12 12:12:34

Not sure if this a stupid question, but do they have these at the hospital for you to use or are you expected to bring your own if you want one for pain relief?!

donnakebabnew Tue 14-Feb-17 08:21:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now