Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Baby engaged at 33 week: likely to be early?

(13 Posts)
LittleMilla Tue 04-Jun-13 11:40:51

Second baby but my son was undiagnosed breech - found out when ten days over and had a c-section.

This one is v different. Already 3/5 engaged at 33 weeks and I am finding it uncomfortable to walk any distance due to weight bearing down in my pelvis - keeps on trapping nerves etc.

Is it wishful thinking that this could mean he comes before term? I know it's better to stay in there longer...but I'm so apprehensive about everything that it feels like the first time. I didn't even feel a contraction last time so every twinge is sending me hyper!

grants1000 Tue 04-Jun-13 19:46:09

Yes and no. For some it does and for some it does not. Neither of mine ever engaged but were 6 and 3 weeks early, but heard lots of opposite stories, so who the hell knows! Not helpful I know, just thourgh I'd answer you.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 04-Jun-13 19:47:24

Not IME.

Ds1 was engaged at 33 weeks but needed evicting inducing at 42 +5 to shift him!

Madamecastafiore Tue 04-Jun-13 19:49:55

No means not a lot for 2nd baby!

ChunkyChicken Tue 04-Jun-13 19:49:56

DS was engaged at around that point, born at 38+6. He kept popping in & out though - going from 4/5 engaged to 1/5 in the space of a day or 2 the wk before he arrived. For 2nd & subsequent babies, I understand, they can go in & out a lot, it doesn't mean anything unfortunately. Good luck.

LittleMilla Tue 04-Jun-13 19:54:01

Hmmm, inconclusive then! Thought it was wishful thinking, ha.

Wondering if the fact I didn't push ds out makes any difference to the whole second pg theories.

Feel like a fake who's doing this all for the first time!

LittleMilla Wed 05-Jun-13 21:06:23

An evening bump, can anyone else share their experience? Thanks

chickenfactory Thu 06-Jun-13 00:41:12

I've been 3/5 engaged since 34 weeks. 40+7 now and still waiting....

ChasingStaplers Thu 06-Jun-13 00:50:48

Nope.

All three of mine were engaged from 30 weeks onwards.
DD was born at 37 week; DS1 at 38 weeks and
DS2 was 3/5 engaged at 31 weeks but was born the latest of my three at 39 + 4 (worth the wait though!)

Shellywelly1973 Thu 06-Jun-13 01:13:01

With my last 3 dc they all engaged v.early, from 28 weeks. Dd was 2 weeks early ds1 was a week early & ds2 was 2 days late.

It's very uncomfortable to carry them engaged for so long&i couldn't walk for long lengths of time.

Good luck!

nannyl Thu 06-Jun-13 08:51:07

DD 1 was engaged about then... came 40+1
this baby has been engaged since 33 weeks... im now nearly 38 weeks and no signs that she is coming yet

nannyl Thu 06-Jun-13 08:52:28

my friends DD was still not at all engaged on her due date (first baby)

baby was born less than 24 hours later

ChunkyChicken Thu 06-Jun-13 10:28:44

First babies don't often engage early, or right up until labour is starting. My DD was only 1/5 engaged a wk before she was born. Second babies engage earlier because, as I understand it, the shape of the womb has changed due to having had a baby already.

OP - I think the ability to predict when a baby will be born exactly is a skill that would earn someone millions wink Unfortunately, you'll still have to play the guessing game smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: