Talk

Advanced search

Induction at 34 weeks

(11 Posts)
elliejjtiny Fri 24-May-13 17:00:06

I'm guessing no chance of working and likely to be horrendously painful.

I'm 34 weeks pregnant (dc4) but measuring 42 weeks due to excess fluid (polyhydramnios). Baby weighs 6lb 6oz according to growth scan on Tuesday. I know this can be wildly inaccurate but previous babies all just under 9lb at birth so probably about right.

I'm so uncomfortable and the thought of another 6-8 weeks of this makes me want to cry. Fluid has been measuring high since 28 weeks and still increasing. Baby is head down but head is still high. Can't engage because fluid is in the way.

My friend said if this happened to her she'd demand to be induced. I said I didn't think it would work as my body would try and fight it but now I'm wondering if it will be better than carrying on like this. Can't have a c-section unless it becomes life threatening as I have a 5 year old who is disabled and needs lifting.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 24-May-13 17:02:36

ellie, I'm so sorry you are so uncomfortable but the baby benefits hugely from remaining in the womb until term.

Can you plan something nice every other day or so to get through it?

cupcake78 Sat 25-May-13 08:05:27

I'm in a similar situation 35 +4 weeks and measuring 40+. Spd getting worse, I'm very sore everywhere and can barely move anymore. It's horribly uncomfortable (there have been many tears) but my consultant will not touch me till 40 weeks unless I grow dramatically in the next 4 weeks. I've had no extra scans because he's happy he knows baby will be fine and all a scan will do is confirm what he already knows. Baby is big due to a mixture of fluid and a big baby. My ds was over 9lbs and family history is commonly over 10lbs.

He's said baby is not in danger and although its immensely uncomfortable on me induction is not an option unless baby is at risk.

Midwives will begin sweeps at 38 weeks if favourable. I'm now taking evening primrose oil and doing everything possible to assist in an earlier eviction wink. Baby has started to engaged in the last few days.

Should I go into labour before 40 weeks then great if not then they will start and assist.

Ds didn't engage till they broke my waters at 40+5 because his head was too big and there was too much fluid.

Sorry your suffering but its best to prepare yourself for another 4 weeks at least!

elliejjtiny Sat 25-May-13 14:26:01

Thanks. I'm drinking raspberry leaf tea so it feels like I'm doing something. Have an appointment with the consultant at 36 weeks to talk about the birth.

dinkystinky Sat 25-May-13 14:30:05

If baby isn't ready to come Ellie I think both you and baby would find an early induction difficult - best to speak with your consultant on this.

VinegarDrinker Sat 25-May-13 14:37:10

Sorry to say but I really doubt anyone would induce you "just" for polyhydramnios at this stage. Maybe at 38 weeks....

A 34 weeker would have quite a high risk of needing SCBU admission, or at least a period of several day's observation in hospital. It really wouldn't be a great idea from baby's POV.

Huge sympathies though as I feel huge and uncomfy already with a (presumably) normal amount of fluid.

(ps don't worry about the head not being engaged, it is unusual for 2nd/3rd/4th babies to engage before labour. It could make induction a bit more risky though if the head hadn't engaged prior to needing ARM as you would be risking a cord prolapse).

MustafaCake Sat 25-May-13 14:59:53

Sorry to hear you are so uncomfortable Ellie

But I'm afraid zero chance of induction unless the Drs decide baby is better out than in. At 34 weeks s/he is definitely better in!

DS was induced at 35 weeks for medical reasons (Obstetric Cholastasis) and although the induction process was great (and mercifully quick) he was in NICU for 5 days and in hospital for 10 days due to his premmie baby lungs and other early baby probs.

So be careful what you wish for re early babies!!!!

elliejjtiny Mon 27-May-13 19:46:59

Thanks everyone. I've got such a massive bump, I keep forgetting that the baby inside is actually quite small and still a premmie! Also when people look at me like I'm mad when I'm not going to the hospital demanding an induction it makes me think maybe I should be doing something.

drcharliegirl Tue 28-May-13 09:38:39

I know it seems horrendous right now, but truly your baby is better off inside...

Can you talk to your consultant about a fluid reduction procedure to make you more comfortable? (they take off some amniotic fluid under US guidance, and should relieve some of the pressure).

I don't know if this is current guidance, but would seem a more reasonable discussion than delivering prematurely before baby is fully mature (there are lots of studies that suggest it's not just baby's weight that is important - the lungs and brain are not fully developed at 34 weeks and there are potential long-term problems which should be avoided if at all possible).

Good luck...

MoominsYonisAreScary Tue 28-May-13 09:56:21

I've had a 35 weeker and a 32 weeker. Unless there are problems that can affect the baby it really is better to stay where it is for a few weeks yet.

However ds4 was delivered by elcs at 38+2 purely because they didn't want me to go into labour naturally

LunaticFringe Tue 28-May-13 10:17:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now