Talk

Advanced search

Csection and constipation....

(5 Posts)
BusyBee86 Thu 23-May-13 12:03:05

I am having an elc in the next few weeks and have started worrying about bowel movements after! I have Alway suffered with constipation and have a rectocele so I think it's going to be very painful for me after shock.
What would you ladies suggest? Would it be advisable to take an enema the night before? If so where do I get it? Doctor or chemist?
Any advice would be welcome, thank yousmile

Beatrixpotty Thu 23-May-13 13:06:48

Yes,can be a bit of a problem,especially if you need codeine afterwards for pain.Ask in your pre-op appointment ,I wouldn't take anything without checking with the doctor,they give you ranitidine to take the night before.I've never been offered an enema but they would have given laxatives if nothing happening 4-5 days post op.Getting up ,drinking lots will help,I ate tons of dried figs too but still took 4 days!

MooseBeTimeForSpring Thu 23-May-13 13:17:45

Just be careful. I had a poo before I left the hospital on day 3 post section. Despite this, they still insisted I took stool softeners. I could shit through the eye of a needle for days, often with very little warning. Not great with a sleeping (or feeding) baby in your lap.

rallytog1 Thu 23-May-13 18:01:54

I was given a glycerine suppository 3 days post-section and it very much did the trick - got things moving easily but only for the first time (you might appreciate a 'looser' movement to begin with as it can feel like anything firmer will burst your stitches - not that it will!). I did eat lots of fibrous foods but think having a helping hand helped me get over the fear!

MyDarlingClementine Thu 23-May-13 18:25:14

Syrup of figs, don't know why or how I found it, was by far the best thing and so cheap.
I was worried about it too but it wasn't so bad in the end at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now