Talk

Advanced search

Given ELCS date by midwife but I will not meet a consultant until day - Normal?

(8 Posts)
TheMusketeer Wed 22-May-13 16:10:48

The subject says it all. I have been booked in by the midwives for an ELCS but there is no indication I will actually see a consultant before the date of the surgery. I would have thought a meeting with a consultant and/or anaesthetist would be necessary. Is this actually normal? I am opted for ELCS due to psychological reasons (petrified of natural birth). Is this normal? I have only been advised that I will have a prescreening appointment a week before the ELCS date, but my understanding is that I will only see a midwife that day. Any advice would be much appreciated. I am 35 weeks at the moment.

Choccybaby Wed 22-May-13 16:15:24

Sounds unusual to me. I'm having an ELCS due to previous section and have seen consultant once at around 24 weeks then her registrar at 34 weeks and will see the anaesthetist a week before section.
Suggest asking your midwife if you want to see the consultant before the day.

TheMusketeer Wed 22-May-13 16:36:38

Thank you very much Choccybaby! It does sound odd. I will email the midwife tonight and ask when my appointments with the consultant and anaesthetist are. My paranoid mind is telling me that they are not taking my request seriously as the ELCS has been booked exactly on my due date (I was told it would be around 30 weeks) and now I have not been given any indication of meeting a consultant. Also the baby is in breach (though I am aware that babies can change position any time) but I would have thought a bit of prep work would be needed in case the baby decides to arrive earlier.

QTPie Wed 22-May-13 18:09:34

You will not see an anaesthetist before the day of operation (I didn't for my ELCS or my two other surgeries for that matter) - any pre-op checks can be done by Consultant or MW.

bonzo77 Wed 22-May-13 18:16:21

Hmm. I had an ELCS (well, 3 days notice). Although I had seen doctors during my pregnancy, the only doctors I saw the day the CS was booked were a foetal medicine consultant and a paeds consultant. A MW took some bloods then.

cathpip Wed 22-May-13 18:18:44

When I ad my elcs I saw a consultant at 24 weeks and then nothing till my section day when I met the surgeon and anaesthetist about 1hour before my op.

Ginderella Wed 22-May-13 18:38:59

That does sound unusual to me as well. I think you are right to trust "your paranoid mind". It does sound like you are being fobbed off. In my local trust it's the consultants that book the sections not the midwives.

TheMusketeer Wed 22-May-13 19:04:51

Thank you very much for all the responses...sorry my second post should have said 39 instead of 30!

I will see what the midwife says when I ask for an appointment in writing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now