Talk

Advanced search

Double epidural in belly as pain relief

(8 Posts)
Reenypip Sun 19-May-13 20:10:09

Anyone have epidurals put in both sides if their belly which goes into the nerves as pain relief after a c section?
I just had this done with the birth of my 2nd child and I've never heard of it before.

EggsMichelle Sun 19-May-13 20:20:32

I thought epidurals only went in the spine?

Reenypip Sun 19-May-13 20:55:29

Nope these epidural ports went into each side of my belly, after my c section while still in theatre. I had a spinal anathestic and they said its more given to people after a general, and seems to help pain. Never heard of it before.

BeehavingBaby Sun 19-May-13 20:59:21

I have seen them in patients after major abdominal surgery, never after a C-section, interesting! They are just the same catheters/ ports as used for epidural, they don't go into the epidural space in the spine, just place local anaesthetic directly at the surgical site I think? Have you had a previous c/s to compare to?

Reenypip Sun 19-May-13 21:07:48

Yeh just the same ports used as epidural. Don't know what the procedure is called do you?
Yes I've had a previous section before, and I've never heard of it used in anyone after a c section.
I'm on a lot of strong pain medication morphine and fentanyl. So they said would do this because my body use to strong pain meds, and would need more pain relief than usual to overcome the tolerance my body has.

BeehavingBaby Sun 19-May-13 21:22:10

Ahh, that makes sense, hope it worked. Not sure what it's called though.

Splatt34 Mon 20-May-13 16:47:13

these are TAP catheters. They are placed between muscle layers where the nerves to your front tummy wall run. Excellent for post op pain relief

Reenypip Wed 22-May-13 10:21:12

Hiya splatt thanks for that :-) ^^

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now