Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

duration of lochia - any difference between c-section and VBAC?

(6 Posts)
fairyglo Sun 21-May-06 15:24:52

Honestly, the questions I find myself typing on here! I wouldn't dream of asking them in RL. Anyway, last time I had a c-section and the lochia lasted for 5 weeks. This time I had a VBAC. Would you expect it to last the same length of time or does the type of delivery make a difference?

PrettyCandles Sun 21-May-06 15:36:32

AFAIK it doesn't make any difference. I have had two VBs and the lochia lasted about 5w each time.

socks3 Sun 21-May-06 15:39:41

My first baby was born by emergency section and the bleeding stopped after 2 weeks but came back when I did too much. My next two children were born vaginally and I bled for about 4 weeks.

morocco Sun 21-May-06 15:43:18

this is gross but what I didn't expect was all the 'fleshy' stuff after a vbac - it was horrible(I won't go into the details) My obs/gy explained that during a csection more of the womb lining would have been 'cleaned up' during the op
sorry for grossing you out

pupuce Sun 21-May-06 16:19:59

I think it is partly down to how active you are.... now one would think that women who have a caesarean would be less active (recuperating from their op) and therefore would not bleed as long.
I have noticed that women who have a natural 3rd stage (no syntometrine injection in thigh) tend to have less blood loss... but this is an observation, not a fact!
Definitely women who do too much (on their feet) aftre a birth bleed MUCH longer !

bluebear Sun 21-May-06 21:11:43

I was very active after my section but lochia was only about 3 weeks and very much lighter than after my VBAC - they 'tidy' a lot of it up during the op when you have a section.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: