Talk

Advanced search

Post cesarean gas pains, how long did yours last? Any remedies?

(13 Posts)
MammaCici Sun 12-May-13 18:58:41

I've read that gas pains are normal and they seem to last longer for some people than others.

I'm almost 3 weeks post cesarean and my gas pains aren't easing and I'm just wondering how long they lasted for others. Sometimes it's hard to stand up straight with mine and then it disappears.

Also, any remedies that are ok with breastfeeding?

EyeoftheStorm Sun 12-May-13 19:04:48

Peppermint tea works wonders.

imip Sun 12-May-13 19:05:34

Poor you! I've had 4 c sections and I've experienced gas with two of them. One so bad it really hurt in my shoulder. I could over the space of weeks feel the gas pain rising through my torso.

From memory it lasted for a few weeks. The best solution is to drink peppermint tea. It really works, I promise!

Congrats, btw!

MammaCici Sun 12-May-13 19:49:25

Peppermint tea should be avoided during breastfeeding so I was wondering if there were any other tips. A cup or two would probably be ok but I don't want to risk my milk supply in case.

Exhaustipated Sun 12-May-13 20:31:01

I told the midwife when I was in hospital and was immediately brought peppermint water. It went away very quickly.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 12-May-13 20:32:30

Mintec tablets.

Coffee1Sugar Sun 12-May-13 20:43:22

Colpermin tablets from boots

QTPie Sun 12-May-13 20:52:15

Why should peppermint tea be avoided during breastfeeding?

I drank it by the gallon, in hospital (under midwife supervision), whilst breastfeeding....

imip Sun 12-May-13 21:01:51

Interesting op, I just googled and saw some referernces to peppermint tea affecting supply. I had absolutely no problem with it affecting supply. I used it after three sections. If you were truly worried about the supply issue, I would just express regularly to ensure a good supply. I have also done that before when I have had sore nipples or mastitis. Or you could counteract with fennel tea, I think it is fennel tea that increases supply?

WannaSplitAPineapple Sun 12-May-13 21:20:40

I also ate peppermint sweets (the hardboiled ones in a red bag) When the midwife suggested it I didn't believe her but it worked wonders.

QTPie Sun 12-May-13 22:14:37

Blimey... Despite glugging peppermint tea like it was going out of fashion, I probably had an "over supply" issue if anything (could have supplied most of South West England...). Probably a good thing that I did drink so much peppermint tea! ;)

PoppyAmex Sun 12-May-13 22:15:58

I was advised peppermint oil, which was brilliant (and very strong)

flamingtoaster Sun 12-May-13 22:21:44

I was in agony - so much so that I spent one night in hospital walking up and down the corridor in a desperate attempt to try to get it to shift. When the new shift came on the Sister appeared saying she had heard I was in pain with wind - and handed me a drink. It was peppermint with paracetamol dissolved in it. She said to drink it and then get into the shower and stand with hot water running down my back and massage my sides. It worked like magic and I had no problems at all with wind after that. Hope yours settles soon - it is horrible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now