Talk

Advanced search

Belly pains.

(10 Posts)
Babyboy2013 Sun 12-May-13 08:15:08

Hey guys, I'm a first time mum and have 11 days before my due date. Last night around 7 o clock I started getting period pains and thought it may be contractions, they weren't regular so I just went to bed. After a restless night, I woke up and thought the pains had gone. Then after been up around 45 minuets I have started feeling them again... Still not regular. Now I am starting to think that it's all in my head and the pain is only coming because I'm thinking about it. I would like to know what other mummies think on this subject please.. I'm a little scared

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sun 12-May-13 08:25:34

Morning. Don't panic, <holds hand> are they starting at the bottom of your bump or randomly? Have you timed how long between each one?

Also a warm bath may help.

I've also had period like pain for a few days, but not regularly.

lovesteaandcake Sun 12-May-13 08:27:33

Don't be scared. Just keep listening to your body.
My contractions started at 5am with DD, and we're very random for the next 12 hours till my waters went. Then I realised labour had started. I called the hospital & they told me what to do.
Just relax & don't panic. If you are worried in any way just call your midwife or the hospital, they will help.
It could of course just be practice contractions. They can be pretty bad.
Have you had any other signs at all?

EdwiniasRevenge Sun 12-May-13 08:28:37

Put your hand on your bump.

If your bump goes rock hard at the same time as your pain you are most definitely not imagining it.

It may still be a while before they settle into a pattern though.

Babyboy2013 Sun 12-May-13 08:33:03

There under my bump, that's why I thought it might be contractions. I timed them yesterday and they ranged from 5-10 minuets apart and lasting around 30 seconds each. That's why I didn't panic to much haven't timed them this morning tho. I'll try that and see what they are like. smile I don't want to be to and from hospital if it isn't labour because it will scare me more for when I actually give birth.

dizzy77 Sun 12-May-13 08:38:11

That sounds like my night last night: I'm 4 wks from my due date and have been getting "hard belly" for a while now, last night was grim frankly but as this is DC2 I'm more confident I will "know" when it's actually labour.

The midwives at my local triage usually recommend a lay down, a bath, a couple of paracetamol and give it a couple of hours to see if its stopped/slowed. It's worth calling yours as they'll be able to help/reassure: they say they can recognise from your voice if they should bring you in or not for assessment, I certainly called a few times last time in the days leading up to DS's arrival as I felt out of sorts for a few days first.

Babyboy2013 Sun 12-May-13 08:38:58

My bump does go hard when the pin starts. But I just thought that was the baby moving at the same time.
I'm not 100% sure of what the signs of labour are. I have spoken to my midwife and got the most common but everyone is different and I haven't had any other signs of pregnancy so I'm worried I won't have any signs of labour either.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sun 12-May-13 08:59:45

I worried about the same thing 1st time round baby and then got hit with a whammy that there was no mistaking.

You could well be in the early stages, and baby is getting in the right position to come out.

Don't feel embarrassed to phone the midwife, or feel that you are wasting their time, that is what they are there for, and I'm sure they'd much rather you were calm and not worrying. I've already phoned them over a false alarm and you'd think I'd know by dc3

Babyboy2013 Sun 12-May-13 09:05:33

Yer I just spoke to the midwife and she has said they sound like early stages and I should keep timing them and come in when they have settled down to four minuets apart. So I'll be a new mummy soon grin
I can't believe I'm going to be a mummy. smile

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sun 12-May-13 09:29:18

Oh fantastic news baby I hope it goes smoothly for you and you don't have long to wait for new baby snuggles.

I'm very envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now