Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone tried Hypnobirthing?

(10 Posts)
Morningnewspaper Fri 19-May-06 13:03:15

A friend of mine has recommendedd it and I wondered if anyone else had tried it and how you got on?

Enid Fri 19-May-06 13:06:43

I read about it and used a combination of deep breathing, positive visualisation and a pool to have dd3, was great

Morningnewspaper Sat 20-May-06 12:49:06

So was it the hypnobirthing breathing and visualisation that you used? Was the birth noticeably different than your others?

SabineJ Sat 20-May-06 13:54:01

I tried some CD for auto hypnosis for the birth of DS2. There was a CD for the pregnacy time, one for the birth. I found the pregnancy ones wonderfull. It helped me relax and I always felt asleep before the end of the Cd (jsut 20 minutes) but it seems that's not having any effect of the efficiency of the method.I listen to the birth CD just before the due date.
Results : I had an epidural followed by a ventouse delievry for DS1 after about 24h of labour ... For DS2, I had a water birth, a little bit of gas and air and under 3h of labour.
Second time around, it seems to always be quicker BUT I found I was much more relaxed about the whole idea. I never listen to the CD for the birth itself. I haven't had time !! But I had my shower and was ready to move on when the midwife though I was still recovering. So, I assume that it did indeed have a very positive effect on me. And to be honest, it couldn't have had a bad effect so I think it is worth trying.

Good luck !

SabineJ Sat 20-May-06 13:57:17

I did try to use the breathing techniques and visualisation but the only thing that I have been able to concentrate on was screaming during the contractions ... Probably scared the hell of of the women in the ante-natal ward but didn't seem to affect how positive I elt about the experience this time around.

PinkTulips Sat 20-May-06 14:33:41

didn't do it in any strict sense but did use breathing techniques to relax and zone out during labour and managed to survive 18 hours of established labour, after 2 days of on-off contractions, culminating in quite a paniced pushing stage as my dd had the cord round her shoulder, without any pain relief. found the whole thing quite easy to deal with as long as everyone just left me alone to zone out and found it a really positive experiance despite the drama. didn't feel like it was taking as long as it did at the time either

Morningnewspaper Sun 21-May-06 15:22:38

This breathing and zoning out lark seems to be important doesn't it?? The hynobirthing theory does make sense in that if you're calm and relaxed, the uterus gets enough oxygen and nutrients and there is less pain. It's very reassuring to hear that you have had positive experiences with the calm approach!!

Pinchypants Mon 22-May-06 12:38:08

I'm using natal hypnotherapy CDs at the moment by Maggie Howells. Have been listening to the 'pregnancy relaxation' one since about 14 weeks (29 weeks now) and due to switch over to the 'preparation for birth' one at 32 weeks. I find them enormously calming and reassuring, and I am hoping they will contribute to a good labour experience.
I know this stuff isn't for everyone, but this whole 'going into Labourland' thing seems to make sense to me. I've also found the 'Birthing from Within' book really interesting and useful for reinforcing my own unarticulated ideas about labour being an 'otherworldly' experience.
Obviously I'm also making sure I'm informed about all forms of possible intervention, pain relief and C-section, cos one thing I've learned from here and my friends who have had babies recently is that you can't plan birth...

georgiemum Wed 31-May-06 16:19:01

Hi. I did the (training) course 2 1/2 weeks before giving birth. It puts you in the right frame of mind - i.e. not in a state for fear and panic! The breathing and relaxation techniques keep you calm and relaxed and when you are in this state, your body just gets on with the task at hand. It worked really well for me (and I need to have gas at the dentist just to have the novocaine jab!)

Gizmo100 Wed 31-May-06 20:37:26

I started to listen to the transforming childbirth cds which were very relaxing the 3 weeks before the birth. This was my first child so I have nothing to compare it to but I was able to be calmish and tuned into the relaxation very quickly. I ended up with a 5 hour labour and gas and air with a 9lb baby.

Gizmo100

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: