Talk

Advanced search

Would you have induction after a fast labour with a haemorrhage

(10 Posts)
Stepmooster Tue 30-Apr-13 12:10:20

Hi, I am pregnant with DC2 20 weeks, second scan this afternoon (!), my DD will be 14 months when DC2 is born. When I went for my booking appointment midwife went through my birth notes and talked about the haemorrhage and how I would have to see a consultant about it. TBH I dont really remember too much about the haemorrhage I was in shock from having a quick birth 2 weeks before due date, when I was expecting 24-48 hours of rolling around on a birthing ball shouting at my husband for massages. They put me on a drip for fluids, but I got to go home the next day. Maybe I was a bit naive about it, but it stopped bleeding on it's own and I just thought it was normal to bleed a bit after birth.

My labour was 3.5hours start to finish, I was supposed to have a homebirth because my hospital don't allow stepchildren into the delivery room. We ended up in hospital anyway when my waters went they told me to come in. No one really knows why they made me do that as I was having contractions every bloody mintue and the car ride was hell.

DH is not inf avour of homebirth because of the haemorrhage, and what I would do if I was on my own with DD. He thinks giving birth in hospital with a planned induction is the safest and best option. But I've read all sorts of horror stories about inductions and the need for intervention. I must say DH is leaving it up to me what I do but I do need to respect his concerns.

If I have a homebirth and then a haemorrhage would they jsut not blue light me to hospital if I was really that bad?

As anyone got any advice for me before I see the consultant in a week or two's time? I am really torn as what to do, that is best for DC2, DD and me.

ClaimedByMe Tue 30-Apr-13 12:15:29

I had a quick labour and heamorrage after an induction confused I never had to see the consultant the second time round but would have to plead my case if I had opted for a home birth which I wimped out of, my second labour was quick easy and I was out the hospital within a few hours now heamorrage.

Did they say why you heamorraged?

Stepmooster Tue 30-Apr-13 13:45:29

Hi Claimedbyme, my midwife doesn't know why I had the bleed. I never asked at the time. In your case was it the induction that caused your haemorrhage or the speed?

ClaimedByMe Tue 30-Apr-13 14:37:54

My community midwife says it happened because I have red hair and red haired peopled are more likely to heamorrage(!) she had been a midwife for a million years and all her wee myths were true, the midwife who did my booking for my second dc says it probably happened because I labored quick the placenta came away too quick and didn't have time to clot where it came away from my womb and that caused the bleed. My second dc was born quicker and after a much shorter labour and I didn't heamorrage infact my placenta wouldn't budge and it took a lot of pulling and pushing to get it out!

I am not convinced there is any pattern to it!

Fresh01 Tue 30-Apr-13 22:52:47

Claimed, I was just told that red haired story at the weekend , by an OB. I don't have red hair!

Op, I had a haemorrhage with DC1, she tore my cervix on the way out. I lost just over a litre of blood in minutes and they were considering a blood transfusion but I didn't need it as my blood count came back up. DH remembers kidney bowls full of blood. She was born after 9 hours of established labour.

DC2, 3 and 4 were all around 4 hour labours. I was induced for DC2 and DC4. I never had another haemorrhage.

But for all subsequent labours I wasn't allowed in a birthing pool and had to have a cannula in my hand in case they needed fluids on board fast.

Personally after a text book pregnancy and labour then a haemorrhage out of the blue I didn't ever consider a home birth for the subsequent ones. There are a couple of ladies who also post in this section who have done a home birth after a PPH but I think they had to fight for it.

Stepmooster Wed 01-May-13 16:13:10

Thanks Fresh01, I was 38+1 when DD was born so I assume any induction would mean the baby being born at 37 weeks. I just don't like the idea of baby being born early when he is not ready to come out. I have no problem with a hospital birth, its just the midwife thinks that as my first labour was quick this one could be even more so. If I was normal (whatever that is) then I would dash off to the hospital, but I may not make it.

I just read on a similar thread that fast labour and induction caused a PPH. In which case I am very confused and part of me just thinks I should not try to mess with when my baby wants to be born.

I am 99% sure the PPH was nothing to do with my cervix as that's just been examined for erosion, and I only gave birth last July and it's apparently all fine down there.

Ezza1 Wed 01-May-13 18:15:08

Fast first labours do not always equal faster subsequent labours. In fact, mine have got longer!

DC1, induced. 1 hour 20 mins.

DC2, spontaneous. Just under 3 hours.

DC3, induced. Just over 3 hours.

All from first contraction to birth. Second stages were between 5 and 20 minutes.

BluddyNora Wed 01-May-13 19:44:51

Would induction mean you are less łikely to haemorrhage?

mayhew Wed 01-May-13 22:09:24

Induction does not mean you are less likely to haemorrhage. It means you are more likely to have medical people around.

Fresh01 Thu 02-May-13 17:48:12

I am not a medical person but I do not think they would induce you at 37 weeks just because your previous baby arrived at 38 weeks. My two inductions were past my due date. DC3 was born at 39 weeks due to my waters going and there was never any suggestion of DC4 being induced early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now