Talk

Advanced search

Induction V c section

(3 Posts)
boardingschoolbaby Tue 30-Apr-13 10:04:46

This is our first baby, and due to medical reasons I will not be allowed to go beyond 38 weeks. These are my two options. I realise there is obviously the longer recovery time with a section, but the prospect of up to 5 days induction to end in an Emcs also horrifies me. According to NICE guidelines 22% of inductions end up with Emcs and that is from all births- the actual rate for early births is higher, and an additional 15% end in forceps or ventouse. Any advice or experience appreciated.

Lozza70 Tue 30-Apr-13 10:17:55

I cannot advise but I can let you know my experience. I had an induction at 37 weeks due to raised blood pressure. Following pesseries and my waters being broken I ended up on a drip to speed things up. Unfortunately after over 48 hours, from first pessary, DS1 was stuck and I had an EMCS. Personally I was exhausted and it took some time to get over this exhaustion so I feel I missed the precious first few days. I would say that I was not allowed to get up and move around during the whole experience as I was attached to a monitor for the baby and I think this contributed to the cascade of interventions.

I have recently had DS2 and had a ELCS at this was a much calmer experience which I loved. Recovery was great and I was up and about within 12 hours and discharged on day 2 though everyone has different experiences of CS recovery.

Good luck with your decision and congrats on your baby.

carrielou2007 Tue 30-Apr-13 16:10:58

Induced all three times, very long first time with forceps, very quick second time then EMCS for third. Recovery not been as bad as I thought but wish I'd gibd for planned section in first place (other medical condition) as then wouldn't have been soooo tired from induction/labour. Crystal ball needed!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now