Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Experiences of lengthy ventouse delivery and severe jaundice

(4 Posts)
Msbluesky32 Tue 30-Apr-13 09:35:12

dd was born by ventouse at 40+1 and sustained a lot of bruising to her head, which resulted in severe jaundice within 24 hrs. She was very unwell and had to be out on a light box for five days, at one point we were told he might need a blood transfusion. I recall the doctor who attended the birth saying that they had used the ventouse cups five times to pull her out and that on the fifth attempt she was born. I mentioned this to my MW when we finally got home and she said that was really unusual and that doctors are only allowed to try three times with ventouse before switching to forceps. In my birth plan I had specified trying with ventouse before forceps but at no point during the birth did e doctor say that she was trying ventouse over the recommended amount. Has anyone ad any experiences of this? Could this have contributed to her severe jaundice? I'm wishing now the doctor had outlined during the birth that she had tried three times and any further attempts would be over the guidelines because perhaps we could have avoided the jaundice by switching to forceps. I'd be interested to know how many ventouse deliveries result in the baby getting severe jaundice (within 72 hrs).

MrsPatrickDempsey Tue 30-Apr-13 17:38:51

A little confused - did she get jaundice within 24 or 72 hrs? It is quite critical in determining its cause. Physiological jaundice, which is concerned with changing fetal to adult haemoglobin, never presents within 24 hours. It has a much later onset. If your baby had a large bruise then this is a risk factor for this type of jaundice because of the collection of blood.

Early onset jaundice is most often linked to blood group/rhesus disease where blood cells are destroyed. The treatment tends to be the same.

The whole thing about the number of ventouse pulls can be difficult. It may depend on the length of the contractions and how much progress is being made with delivery. I would imagine that the obstetrician was happy to continue and confident of a safe delivery - they tend to swap to forceps pretty quickly if there is no progress.

Hope things have settled down and that you are enjoying life as a mum.

Msbluesky32 Wed 01-May-13 14:44:45

Sorry, 72 hours! I was feeding and trying to type - not quite got the hang of it yet!

Thanks for the reassurance re: forceps. I've been feeling very guilty for stipulating ventouse in my birth plan and feeling very responsible for re jaundice.

MrsBucketxx Wed 01-May-13 14:48:55

my little boy had this too and spent a week in the light box,

except forceps didn't work either and he was an emergency c section in the end he was so stuck.

your baby will be fine she in the best place atm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now