Talk

Advanced search

To sweep or not to sweep?

(8 Posts)
festive Mon 29-Apr-13 18:58:53

Am 38+3 with DC2 and midwife has offered me a sweep at 40 weeks. I had a failed sweep with DC1 at 40 weeks (cervix was too posterior and closed etc) and refused any further sweeps as found it so horrendous.
Went into labour naturally at 40+12 and he arrived at 40+13 after a really long labour, ventouse and a bad tear.
I really, really want to avoid going so far over this time - am terribly uncomfortable and feeling massive already (DC1 was 9lb 8oz, I'm 5'2" and a size 8).
My hospitals strict policy is not to induce until term plus 14, even with my history of previous large baby.
Any views?

abigboydidit Mon 29-Apr-13 19:04:53

I would say to base it on your cervix and how favourable it is. If your Bishops score is too low it will do nothing but cause you discomfort! With DS my cervix was still v high so my MW didn't attempt it but with DD I had 2 & they did seem to kick start things. Good luck!

LauraSmurf Mon 29-Apr-13 22:48:16

I agree with PP, get midwife to examine and see how favourable cervix looks before attempting any sweep like actions!! A kind of 'play it by cervix' choice!!

flatwhite Tue 30-Apr-13 02:31:01

As far as I understand it sweeps work well if your body is making natural progress in terms of labour. You could ask midwife to feel for cervix snd if it feels unfavourable then not to carry out sweep. But if if it feels soft, she can insert a finger in etc then I would let her have a go as she is likely to be encouraging things to move naturally...

I had sweep today at 41+2... Midwife thought it went well. I had some cramping afterwards which I thought was promising but feel too comfortable now to be convinced labour is imminent! I have another sweep scheduled for wed as hoping to avoid induction scheduled for Thursday.

Good luck!

Longdistance Tue 30-Apr-13 02:41:26

I refused a sweep at 40 weeks, and baby came two days later on her own.

munchkinmaster Tue 30-Apr-13 03:09:12

My hospital didn't induce till term plus 12. I made an appt with the obstetrician and explained my reasons and was induced at term plus 7. Midwifed cant go off protocol, obs can

festive Tue 30-Apr-13 22:15:42

Thanks everyone, think will ask midwife to check what cervix is up to and then decide!
Munchkin - it's my consultant obstetrician that won't budge on the induction issue. Her view is that there's no medical reason for an earlier than term plus 14 induction, and baby size isn't of concern to her ('you've pushed out one whopper so no reason why you can't do it again' etc).
My lovely midwife has said that she is willing to fight my corner if I start going far over and measuring big for dates... But I don't think the consultant will budge.

munchkinmaster Wed 01-May-13 18:52:59

Good luck. To be honest I'm not sure my early induction was such a hot idea anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now