Talk

Advanced search

Overdue and worried!

(14 Posts)
Camilla4 Fri 26-Apr-13 15:05:14

Hi all

I am 41+1 now with absolutely no sign of labour being near. I know it is normal to go overdue with the first pregnancy so that in itself doesn't worry me - but I am concerned that I have had no signs at all - no BH, no tightenings, no nesting - nothing - and MW couldn't do a sweep as my cervix is too posterior apparently. Have any of you ladies gone straight into labour with no signs?

My other worry is that my mum had a tight / high cervix with me (her first) and ended up having to have a c section because I simply couldn't come out once she started spontaneous labour at 41+3 - this is now starting to panic me that I will have the same experience, do labours tend to be similar to our mothers? Especially given that my cervix doesn't seem to be in place...

I have an induction booked for 41+6 but if I am likely to have to have a c section anyway given my mum's history, I would almost rather get it over with sooner and meet my baby! I was really hoping for a natural birth and feeling very disheartened at the moment - not sure i can stomach any more pineapple!!

Any advice or stories would be very appreciated smile
C

birdbrain17 Fri 26-Apr-13 15:18:44

Hi I had absolutely no signs of labour at 40 weeks, I refused a sweep as I was scared of it hurting as I was very dry and sensitive down there...at 41+2 they decided to induce me because of problems with my blood, when the mw put the pessary in she said my cervix was very far back and closed they would leave it in 24 hours to see if anything would happen, and 4 hours I was in labour and had a natural delivery!!
hope this is a bit reassuring good luck x

Ilovestackingcups Fri 26-Apr-13 16:13:42

Likewise, no signs of labour until it finally began at 40+12.

I wouldn't worry too much over what may happen to you because of your mum's experience. For a start, thinking and birth practice have moved on since you were born. Anecdotally, my mum had to have an epidural with her first labour, mine went no further than g&a and water. Hers was shorter, mine involved an emergency transfer. Labours are all different.

Even if you do end up going down the EMCS route, it will do you no good to worry about it now. Stress in later stages of pregnancy, and during labour, will not help you to birth your baby.

If you're sick of pineapple, go for walks. As long as you can bear. Sex, also apparently good (don't remember it being easy), spicy food too. Bottom line is your baby will arrive when it's cooked. NHS aren't psychic, they give you a due date but baby doesn't pay attention to that. As long as everything is happening normally, and your MWs have no concerns for the welfare of you or your baby, neither should you have.

I hope it happens soon though; these will be the longest days of your entire life... smile

lovesmileandlaugh Fri 26-Apr-13 16:24:42

I had no signs whatsoever at 40+14 and was at antenatal having a scan to check all was well as I didn't want to be induced. As I left, I nipped to the loo and found a show. DC1 was born at home 36 hours later at 40+16. Not sure if that helps?

Camilla4 Sun 28-Apr-13 06:31:40

Thanks ladies this is reassuring smile still no sign but I guess they are all different.

Have tried everything! Walking, sex, nipple stimulation, pineapple cores, chillies, raspberry leaf tea and bouncing - no luck! Fingers crossed something happens before Tuesday night! C

carrielou2007 Sun 28-Apr-13 08:37:10

I've never gone into labour naturally confused sat waiting for the phone call from induction ward to say come in for induction number three confused. Tried everything with both DC haven't bothered this time as never worked before!! I'm not in the 'you can refuse induction and wait' camp just not for me. Normally bang on 28 day cycle and for all three there was only one 'occasion' smile so no confusion I we dates I just cook babies for longergrin. Good luck for tue x

NAR4 Sun 28-Apr-13 18:09:29

I had to be induced with my first 4.

Sweep was difficult with DC5 due to high posterier cervix. Went into labour at 41+2 just a few hours after my 3rd sweep.

Induction is different with every pregnancy. Some not very painfully and some short. Try not to worry about it.

Its a long horrible wait when you are overdue.

ballroomblitz Sun 28-Apr-13 19:13:53

I had nothing. No BH, no tightenings, nothing. Tried a couple of sweeps but couldn't get up there as I was posterior too. I had a bit of gunk come down but that was it. I'd already had a dc but 6 weeks early and had to go for cs before labour was even a notion so they counted me (and my cervix grin ) the second time as a first time mother.

Went 40+10 with dd. She was a vbac and I had booked in for cs the next day, but all along myself and my mum said she would arrive the night before. She did. 6pm labour pains and a bloody show. Had her exactly 12 hours later 6am, three hours before the cs was due.

Good luck. It's an awesome experience.

dollybird Sun 28-Apr-13 19:19:05

I was induced with DS at 40+14 and had absolutely no signs of labour whatsoever until I went into labour at 40+16, and he was born 6 hours later. DD was 10 days late and again no signs, was also induced, I just couldn't wait any longer that time as it was so flippin hot (2003, hottest summer EVER!) Good luck, hope he or she arrives soon.

melliebobs Sun 28-Apr-13 19:22:24

I had a sweep at 42+1 and the mw couldn't due it due to cervix. No Braxton hicks or anything. Went into labour naturally at 42+3

Moomoomee Sun 28-Apr-13 19:30:38

I went to 40+14, was induced on Sunday, not much happened and my DS was born on the Tuesday by EMCS.

If it happens that you have to go through that route then it's fine because at the end of it, you will have your baby!

I remember being utterly fed up, impatient, anxious and desperate not to mess around anymore and it's crap waiting and worrying BUT in a week(ish) you will definitely have your baby and you'll forget all of this and your name and whether you brushed your teeth or not cos you'll be exhausted

Moomoomee Sun 28-Apr-13 19:32:48

Also I beat myself up a bit that I didn't have a natural birth but I have come to realise that I didn't need to give birth through my hooha in order to still be a mum smile

IDoTakeTwo Sun 28-Apr-13 19:37:19

All 3 of my Doc had to be induced. I just do not seem to go into labour.

However, a simple induction seems to get me going (at 42 weeks) and then all my deliveries have been very straightforward.

Don't stress. Just get rest, eat well so you are ready for the hard work.

And if you need intervention, go for it.

Best

MrsHoolie Sun 28-Apr-13 19:55:45

My mum had three straightforward natural labours and I had two emergency c sections so don't worry about that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now