brokenk Wed 17-Apr-13 11:31:50

Did anybody experienced strange reaction to air gas during labour
I had been given entanox during the labour I felt like losing consciousness
but it is not possible from medical point of view
there is not such side efects or reaction to entanox

so I just wonder did any of you experienced
anything like that

atrcts Wed 17-Apr-13 15:05:31

When I had Entonox I was 'out of it' for large chunks of the 13 hour labour. By that I mean I have absolutely no recollection of what happened and was surprised to be told afterwards that I'd been pushing for almost 3 hours. I only recall being asked to change position to try and push more effectively, and trying to push for a few minutes - the rest is a blank. I have often wondered where I 'went' as I wasn't asleep apparently. Side effects include lightheadedness and tiredness, so all I can imagine is that the combination of the two could have left me so spaced out I don't remember much of it.

I was surprised though, because Entonox has a short action and leaves the body fairly quickly, so any sedative effects are usually controlled by the person using the mouthpiece - if you're too sleepy you don't lift your hand to be able to take another breath of the Entonox (in theory!).

An allergic reaction is different. You would expect severe shortening of breath, swelling or rash etc, and I don't think you can get that with Entonox as its only nitrous oxide gas mixed with normal air. The worst you could get would probably be respiratory depression, but in that event anyone monitoring you would remove the mouthpiece until it was resolved.

brokenk Thu 18-Apr-13 07:07:35

Thank you
can I ask do you know why did you reacted that way
I had similar reaction but propobly I had pph so I "come bck " three hours later which was totally shocking for me especially that you should not reacted for etanox a such strange way

atrcts Thu 18-Apr-13 14:22:02

I know about it because I know I remembered everything leading up to that point, then there are huge chunks of hours missing, which made a 13 hour long labour feel like 3 hours! Also hubby recalls parts I completely missed altogether - no recollection at all.

I think I was just overly sedated by it and it was the way I was affected, I'd rather than than nausea and vomiting like some people experience!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now