Talk

Advanced search

Anybody gone into labour at 34w and had brilliant outcomes? Need reassurance..

(13 Posts)
Tequilatequila Tue 16-Apr-13 18:55:48

It's my first time and I have no idea what's going on really. Waters started trickling 48 hours ago with cramps and back pain as well as strong pains with no real pattern. This carried on for hours and then stopped (trickling carried on) and after 24 hours everything came back along with feeling sick. By this point I'm in hospital having the steroids and antibiotics just in case.. It kept me up all of last night but this morning everything had stopped.
Had a scan this morning that showed I still have a good amount of fluid left so they aren't worried at all and have sent me home. I'd love to get past 37 weeks but am I mad to think that this might be the start of things? Pains cramps and sicky feelings have come back this eve and I'm wondering if I'm gonna be like this for the next six weeks of if its a sign of an early delivery? Heads all over the place. At experience would be very appreciated!!

MyHusbandRoy Tue 16-Apr-13 19:08:43

I don't have any advice about whether this could be labour starting or not but just wanted to let you know that my twins were born at 34wks and are perfectly healthy (touch wood!).

They're now 5yrs old and enjoying primary school.

It's good that you've been given steroids and antibiotics already.

Good luck!

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Tue 16-Apr-13 19:15:04

Have lots of friends/family (well, 5)that have gone into labour at 34 weeks or even before in one case. All completely normal outcomes. Scary at the time for them but babies caught up quite quickly.

drjohnsonscat Tue 16-Apr-13 19:20:02

Good that you've had the steroids. Dd was born at 35 weeks as right as rain. Took a year to catch up on some things but six now and absolutely perfect smile

I remember how scary it is but the fact you've had the steroids is great. Good luck!

MiaowTheCat Tue 16-Apr-13 20:01:52

I sprung a slow puncture at late 33 weeks - got one lot of steroids in but did progress to full labour - the brilliant outcome is upstairs fast asleep, totally unrecognisable as a very very late 33 weeker (she missed 34 weeks by about an hour and the clocks had changed the day before so it was a swizzle) - indeed one of the neo-natal docs mistook her for a 2 year old the other week... and she wasn't even one at the time!

Other pregnancy I was in threatening pre-term labour (not leaking waters that time but a positive FFN test) at very early 34 weeks - had contractions halted by the drip for them to give me both shots of steroids and subsequently held on till the beginning of week 36 before that one arrived. I don't recommend two weeks of stop-start contractions to be good for your sanity though - was seriously getting pissed off with it by the end of it all!

There's a FB group called pPROM Parents Group that might be able to offer you more help?

Norem Tue 16-Apr-13 20:03:06

Hi I had ds at 34+2 after my waters went at 34 weeks.
He was induced as he had very little water in there, I also had antibiotics and steroids. He was fine 5 lb 2 oz, he had to spend a week in the neonatal nursery due to jaundice. He bf til 18 months but I will say the early weeks were all about perseverance as he used to slip off the breast a lot smile good luck

ShadowStorm Wed 17-Apr-13 00:22:25

DS was born at 34 weeks after my waters went at 33 weeks.

He was in SCBU for about 3 and a half weeks - he needed a bit of help breathing at first despite the steroids, and had one or two other issues, but he's now 20 months old and a normal healthy toddler.

TheCatInTheHairnet Wed 17-Apr-13 00:34:17

My nephew was born at 34 weeks, after much inutero intervention. He's now 17 and is predicted top results for A Levels and is country level in 2 sports.

He makes my 40+ seekers look like inbeciles grin

TheCatInTheHairnet Wed 17-Apr-13 00:34:35

*weekers

LeChatRouge Wed 17-Apr-13 00:34:47

My eldest was born at 35 weeks weighing 6lb4oz following SROM in the middle of the night. Two weeks in SCBU, went home, perfectly normal baby. He is now 20!

My twins were born at 32+5 weeks weighing 4lb2oz and 4lb5oz. Quick labour and two yelling babies. Few weeks in SCBU, went home, perfectly normal babies. They turned 19 yesterday!

You are being monitored and tested, you're in safe hands. Easy for me to say, but try and rest and relax. Hope all goes well for you.

TheCatInTheHairnet Wed 17-Apr-13 00:35:29

*and imbeciles, not inbeciles. Clearly, my kids take after me!!

Dysgu Wed 17-Apr-13 00:49:48

DD1 born at 32 weeks. Weighed 4lb. In NICU for a few weeks following g3 brain bleed - potential health problems never materialised. Now a perfect 6.5yo.

DD2 born at 35 weeks. Weighed 5lb 9oz. In NICU for 10 days. Biggest challenge was learning to feed. Now a perfect 4.5 yo.

DS born nearly 5 weeks ago at 34+1 weeks. Weighed 5lb. In NICU for 15 days - a slow start, large weight loss, struggled to maintain temp, jaundice. All perfect now, loves being at home and weighed in at 7lb 3oz this morning.

Have you had a look around NICU/SCBU as there is a likelihood your DC will end up there. With DD2 and DS we got to see them before they were taken to NICU. With DD2 we even got a cuddle for about 10 minutes so every day your DC stays in makes a difference.

Look after yourself as much as you can and try to relax - good luck.

JollyJumpingJelly Wed 17-Apr-13 01:15:57

Dd was born 32+3, 4lb1, after 1 lot of stetoid injections. The doctors warned she might be born not breathing, or be in until her due date and have other problems, but she got resusitated once at an hour old, and other than that had no breathing trouble or any other problems. She was home 19 days later, remember the doctors will always give the worst possible outcome just incase. They also said if shed been born at 35 weeks shed of gone straight to the ward and home. From what i have seen, 34 weeks+ seem to have no more real problems than a lot of full term babies.

And also you wil get the experience of seeing your baby extra young. I wouldnt change dd being early now, there were so many lovely memories of those first 8 weeks which i wouldnt have seen normally. (And a tiny head is much easier to push out!!) Focus on the positives, good luck and enjoy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now